Frequent Contributor
The Write Turn
Accepted Solution

"Dimension" size on sketchup

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question about the size of the "dimension". I can read the dimension fine on the computer, but when I print it out I need a microscope to read them, or zoom way in and then I would have to print out several pages of one component to get all dimensions of that particular piece. I hope this makes sense  to someone. So is it possible to increase the size of the typed dimension, or do I need to play around with printing? Also when I print a view it actually uses maybe half the sheet of paper. Is it possible to get a print to use the whole sheet? Probably should have mentioned this earlier, I am on a Mac. I've been playiong around with sketchup for 2-3 months now and am very impressed with how easy it was to learn. I bought a "Sketchup for Dummies" book witch helped tremendously. Thanks for your time.

Paul

If I only knew then, what I know now.
Contributor
mreighties

Re: "Dimension" size on sketchup

You can resize the dimensions on your model to make them more readable on your printout.

1. Select the dimension (or if you have more than one, select the first one and then hold the "Ctrl" button down as you select the other dimensions) and then "right-click" on your selection and choose "Entity Info". A "Entity Info" dialog box will pop up and from there you can click on the "Change Font" button and then just choose your font, font-style and size that you want.

Below is 2 pictures, the first using the normal font size and the second after I changed my size.

dimension_normal.jpg

dimension_resize.jpg

You can see the difference after resizing.

Hope this helps!

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

When printing out drawings to take to the shop, I often save a jpeg of the view I want. Then use my photo editing software to manipulate it, resize, or crop the image.  It also seems to print quicker on my P.C.  To do this, click file, export, 2d graphic, then give it a name and select jpeg as the file type.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Veteran Contributor
don33butler

My approach to showing dimensions is similar to George's, but I don't attempt to actually dimension the SU model.

I will export JPGs and open them in CorelDraw where I can apply dimension text in a much more readable fashion. Saving the CorelDraw document gives me the freedom to print new ones if the original gets lost or damaged in the shop.

d

Don "Dances with Wood" Butler
Frequent Contributor
The Write Turn

Thanks, that works great. Now I can stop looking for a magnifier. I figured there was an easy fix.

Paul

If I only knew then, what I know now.
Apprentice Contributor
mark-t

What is so great about this 'Sketch-up' ?   Doesn't anyone use a drawing board anymore ?  I've used CAD, which I understand, now is obselete and has been superceeded. But the bottom line is the drawing still has to be CHECKED.

I worked in a drawing room for 30 years on the board and in the field. From what I have seen Accuracy is not improved on CAD or any other mechanical machine. Your not supposed to scale a drawing anyway. I guess its quicker and don't get me wrong, it sounds like it works pretty well. I still do all my stuff by hand.

So what are the benefits. I don't see it.

Apprentice Contributor
mark-t

Just for completeness, a Checker, is an evil little guy, who sits in a corner all by himself/herself,( because nobody want to sit near them, afterall familiarity breeds contempt), with RED Pencils they go through each of your drawings and mark and smear Red Pencil all over them, then with glee  They send back your drawing for the changes to be made.

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Hi Mark welcome to the wood software forum.  Nothing wrong with doing it the old tried and true way.  Lots of folks on these forums who know their woodworking, do it exactly the same way that you do it.  Speaking for myself personally there are several reasons that I was attracted to sketchup; first I'm a lousy artist I can do a 2d view but when I try to sketch by hand in 3d the result takes on the look of some rotten vegetable.  but even if I could draw, if I want to view it from a different angle I would have to draw it again.  And if I want to display a close up of a particular piece of joinery I would need to do it again, again if I want shop drawings to take to the shop. 

With a computer I draw it once I can tilt, rotate, view from different angles, add dimensions automatically, create parts lists, layout diagrams and probably a couple hundred other things.  There is no chance of transposing a dimension when copying a drawing.

In my case there is also the challenge of learning a new skill.  I find sketchup to be a lot of fun.  On a slow day I have found myself doing a drawing just to see if I could do it.  When you are just starting out you see some of these drawings that others are doing and you think " I will never be able to do that" Then you learn a couple of key points and the next thing you know you have reached a new level.

If you decide to give it a  try you can come here for help.  It's free and so is the program.  Good luck to you  

Wood Online forum Host
Apprentice Contributor
mark-t

George, well thank you for the explanation in such a timely fashion.  Your right, a lot of projections  are very time consuming and it would be nice to do it much quicker. When we got the CAD room it was always dark and forboding back there, the drawings always came out good though. I don't remember what the time they spent on CAD drawings was but a hand drawing was about 40 hours per drawing before the CHECKER got hold of it, then they'd come back for corrections. If you had a big machine you may be talking 350  full size drawings per set.

You said, the 'Sketch up' is free. So  how can I get started on it.

Thanks again

Mark Gray

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

The first thing you do is download the program, you can do that from the following web site  http://sketchup.google.com/download/index2.html

Next try the tutorials here on this forum.  Be sure to locate tutorial 1 section 1 to get started

Wood Online forum Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.