Esteemed Advisor
john880

georgenoeth1

Since you are obviously familiar with Sketch Up, has any one approached you with the idea of showing by steps & words descriptions on how you achieved the results that you acquired on drawing the answer to a post that you had helped others. As in a catalever bench that you posted. Of course if'n you have such time to do so.

I put the latest version on my desk top, so all I have to do is click. George, at least in my case (!!???), I have deducted that all in all, it's a matter of familiarity. But, and here is where I mean, BUT,,,there is so many ways, LOTS, of just plain trying to get to the end results of what I am trying/envisioned to do. To search & put down how to do the drawing, the word SHUCKS keeps coming out & that's that for the secession. Even going to several tutorials. I have started out making crib notes, written in my own hand/method for reference, on a tablet as to where/how. So,,, your might help also, especially since there it already is.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Re: georgenoeth1

[ Edited ]

Ok John,

These are the steps used to draw the bench that you saw on the general woodworking forum.  This is the finished product for those who did not see it.

deck bench 3.jpgdeck bench 2.jpg

The existing supports are 8 x 8 cedar roof supports 7 ft. apart.  I drew those first.  Use the rectangle tool and draw a square 8 x 8 in, then using push pull I pulled it up to eight ft.  Next I made the post into a component opened the component for editing.  Next draw a four by eight rectangle on the side of the post and using the push pull, push it in 2 inches.  This completes one post.  I can use the move / copy tool and create a copy 7 ft. away.  Right click on the copy and choose flip along components red and that creates the second post

deck bench 4.jpg

The bench was to be 4' wide so to make the cross braces I first drew a 4 x 48 rectangle at the bottom of the post. then I pulled it out to 4".  That gives me a 4 x 48 cross brace.  I then made it into a component and opened the component for editing. I wanted the braces tapered down to 2" so I drew lines 2" up.  He wanted a 2" cantelever so I drew the taper 2' long.  Next push the tapers off.  I also pushed in a dado on the side for mounting to the post.

Then it is just a matter of moving the cross brace to the notch on the side of the post.

I'm not really explaining how these steps are done.  I'm just listing them.  Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

By the way, in real time what I have shown so far would require about two minutes to draw.

deck bench 5.jpg

To create the cross brace on the second post just do a move / copy and ( right cilck and flip along components red )place the copy on the second post.

deck bench 6.jpg

The seat slat supports are done by first drawing a rectangle 4" x 92" across the two posts resting on the cross braces.

Next you pull it out and you have a 92" 2 x 4.  Now copy the 2 x 4 to each end of the cross braces and the back side of the posts.

deck bench 7.jpg

At this point you just need to add the seat slats, if you need help with that let me know.

Deck bench 8.jpg 

I will put the file itself in the google 3d warehouse. 

If you wish to download the actual sketchup file click HERE

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Esteemed Advisor
john880

Hot Dog !!!!,

My Thanks George. Is your version Google Sketch Up 8 ?? That is what I have on my Desk Top. 

If this has help anyone else out there, how about jumping right in here and tell him so. I ask, Do not be that silent majority, as he has went out of his way trying to help, Thanks.....

Since I can bounce back & forth between your tutorial here at Wood's site  and what ever version you have ( I will change if necessary) this would/will (!!) be a copy & learn experience.

YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Yeah John we are both using the same version.

Wood Online forum Host
Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

John,

When you draw this project if you have a problem with any of the steps just post the question.  If you have a problem others probably are having the same problem but are too shy to ask.  so you would be helping them as well.

Wood Online forum Host
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Hello George,

Familiarity, Familiarity,,,,learning what & where it is, and then how do I transmit my intensions to it, to do what I want it to do. As I have stated I have started my own note pad notes, but then then it comes into an area I haven't copied the steps.

So, is there a window where as I could draw up on, to the Google tutorial,,,,,say beside my drawing, a PIP, where as I could scan down there various sections to see where I failed to copy (& then to perform this task then for sure copy it down)  in the first place/ I have found by going back to the beginning/opening tutorials & searching, I loose what ever drawing there at the bottom of my screen (your's in this case) I am referring to. Not only the drawing itself, but also I loose, trying to follow your steps you gave /// in that drawing.

Thank you, George,,,,

Esteemed Advisor
john880

Well,,,,,I think I found it !!!! It's in the upper left help box...I will keep you offer in mind, George...stay close :smileywink:

Veteran Contributor
fchap

John,

Whenever I lose anything in SU I go to "zoom extents".  It is located in the Camera drop down menu and/or in the Camera toolbar.  It looks like a magnifying glass with four outward pointing arrows.  When you click on this command the screen automatically shows everything you've done or imported.

Getting lost usually happens when I zoom in too close or somehow get inside a part.

Keep after it! SU is a great tool.

Fred

Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Thank You Fred,

Added to my note pad,,,,,

"Keep after it! SU is a great tool."  ~~~~~

yelp, I find my self wrapped up in something that I have found a interesting in learning. The test;; when a couple of hours have flew by, and I have not looked down on the lower right side of my screen, NOT ONCE.

Oh and one more thing, I have now built the equivalent of the complete storage of a big lumber yard's,, 8" X 8" x 96"l. Poles with notches from 2" to 5' from the bottom up thanks to George's first picture. Its a step x step process thing, just like building wood furniture. One piece at a time. And this I suspect,,,,, (as you stated above) as in build that piece, I get closer to the end, getting ready to adding that finish top coat, I have looked back & upon and said, "Man, I am sure glad I took the time to build (learn) that/this piece" 

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.