Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

crown molding

I'm building a cabinet with crown on top, but the top intersects the wall at 45 deg.  Anyone know how to do that?

crown question.jpg

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Re: crown molding

George, I drew it in a simpler profile but I think what I did would work for you.

22.5 crown.jpg

22.5 crown_1.jpg

I drew the walls and and joined them at 22.5 degrees.

I then drew the profile at the end of one wall.

I measured the distance from the wall to the extreme edge of the crown and drew a line parralel to either wall at that distance.

Selected those two lines, chose "follow me" and selected the face of the profile.

I did not try it with a true crown profile, so I don't know if that would cause a problem or not.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Veteran Contributor
fchap

George,

Steve's method is right on.  By the time I get to the point you are, in a drawing, most everything is a component.  The "follow me" path needs to be outside any component so I draw the path using the edges I want the molding to follow.  Make sure the contour face is perpendicular to the path line at the start point.  Select the entire path and do the "follow me".  If you want the molding to be separate pieces you will have to create a separation plane and do the intersect and erase unwanted stuff.  Best to copy the whole molding and pare down for each piece.

Regards,

Fred

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

I  do not know where I am screwing up but the molding cuts off square where it meets the wall it does not cut off at the 45 deg angle.

Wood Online forum Host
Veteran Advisor
Danl

Perhaps your "follow me" line or path is not continual.

Danl

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

George, I think I didn't really understand your original question. You are showing a cabinet meeting a wall at 45 degrees? You can do the follow me but the molding does not conform to the wall and leaves a gap where they meet? Is that correct? If that's the case it seems the best way to get what you're after is to intersect faces and trim away what you don't want.

Steve K

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

George, did you ever get it figured out?

I think I finally did. Once again, it's a straight profile but it does meet the wall correctly.

finally crown.jpg

finally crown_1.jpg

finally crown_2.jpg

Steve K

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

[ Edited ]

Steve,

You are correct in your explaination of the problem.

I hadn't figured it out yet.  I just kind of skipped it so I could get on with the project. I figured at the end I could just make it longer and trim off the excess as one of you guys suggested.

If you have the fix I would like to see and discuss it.  I am likely to be a bit slow with any responses, Im kind of falling behind here and I need to get this bid in.

Wood Online forum Host
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

I did intersect with model. It had been some time since I used that tool and it didn't work like I thought it should. I basically had to retrace everyline in crown before I could erase what I didn't want. Probably something I was doing wrong.

Steve K

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

[ Edited ]

Thought I would show you guys the finished drawing for the bid that I am submitting.  Correction it is not finished just ready for customer input.

offen cabs 2.jpg

offen cabs 4.jpg

The customer actually solved my Problem for me, she decided to apply the crown to the entire wall.

offen cabs 3.jpg

Thanks again guys.

Wood Online forum Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.