Frequent Reader
rpearson62

Which issue - Folding Adirondack

Anyone know which issue the plans for the folding Adirondack chair can be found in?

I located some of the other pieces with the apple cut out such as the planter etc, but no luck so far on the folding adirondack.

Thanks,

Randy

Esteemed Advisor
john880

Re: Which issue - Folding Adirondack

[ Edited ]

Here ya go Randy,

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Adirondack-Chair-Woodworking-Project/dp/B00491HS88

Although,,,,,,,,,IMPO there is a supper design here,,,that might be adapted,,,,By the way, try Ace Hardware if there is one in your neighborhood, and they haven't closed them out for the winter. Take pad, pen & tape with you.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

George or other cad users,

In posting the above pictures, it cam to mind that if a woodworker was to see a design from a picture & had the ability to transpose it to cad, obviously the pivot points would be critical. So,,,would  the program in Google's allow for accurate movement or the same if in the binding of those parts. In order to create an accurate drawing ??? 

YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Frequent Reader
rpearson62

Thank you for the link and image.  That image and design does look great.  Looks like the back also incorporates a bit of a curve which, I may be mistaken, the Wood Magazine version is without curve...???  Still looking for the actual magazine issue number as I believe I already have the plans if I can locate them.  I'll keep thumbing through my stack...

As for the Ace Hardware version, I'll look.  I do like the design.

Thanks much!

Randy

Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Sorry Randy should have read you post closer. It so happens that sometime back I came across one, then returning home did a Google and came across this design,. Which I liked more than any I had seen.

Sitting here examining the mechanics of that picture, I can see if the bottom of those front legs were to be pulled back, It would intern pull the arm rest forward, because of the back of the arms rest are fastened with a solid pivot point to the back. It to would pull forward until they reached a solid stop. Notice when opened and on ground the front legs (Which would control all) has two , no actually four, solid stop/holding points at rest.

yelp with the curved back and the designers vision of proportion this is my favorite also. Good luck and I for one look forward to your finish photo's, Randy

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

John,

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but here are a couple of pictures

fol ad .jpg

This is a drawing of a folding adirondak chair.

fol ad 1.jpg

Notice the left front leg

fol ad 2.jpg

In this view I have pivoted the leg in a clockwise direction

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Yelp we are on the right track here George,

Say a person with your ability made that drawing, well,, as you did, duh !!  Now as you had showed & said here in the past Sketch-Up allows these parts to be broken down into segments with there separate measurements, similar to a cut list.

But now comes the drilling of all of those pivot points into that real wood, from the measurements the person at the key board put in. Here is my Question; Will Sketch-Up in all of it avenues of different types of headings you can get into. Allow that drawing on that screen to "Test run a closing", there on that screen , to test all the dimensional pivot holes to accurately tell if they will work in the real world of actual wood. Long before a guy or gal, would maybe make a mistake in his estimation of where to drill, using the guess he put into the program & it in turn showing him where, in the first place, and ruin the piece or pieces.

Thanks George for you answer and your willing to share your experience to others. 

Frequent Reader
rpearson62

George and John, Thank you Both! :smileyhappy: I too like this design far better than the original one I was attempting to locate.  I'm sold on it.  Very simply I'll be working up a pair for a Christmas gift but also have my eye on producing more depending on how it works out.  I'm out at least a few weeks before I start any build but will definitely post pictures when I begin...

George, do you by chance have the Sketch-up drawing?  Looking for dimensions and details as such to work up a cut list.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Randy

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

[ Edited ]

Randy,

This is  picture of another folding Adirondak. 

Folding adirondak5.jpg

Neither of these is my work, I downloaded both from the google 3D warehouse.  If you have sketchup running just click on file then on 3D warehouse then select get models.  When you reach the warehouse just type in folding adirondak chair in the search box.  You should get both of these models.  Just select the one you like and download it directly to your screen.  Then save it to your sketchup files, you will get the entire file.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Apprentice Visitor
jbutt13111

june 1999

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.