Honored Advisor
ynoT

Version comparability

A friend send me a file done in version 7.0.10247.

When I opened it in version 8 I got a message that if I save the file in version 8 then it no longer be able to open in version 7.

Aren't the Scetchup versions comparable with each other?

What changes could have been done in 8 that cannot read version 7 files?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Version comparability

SketchUp has a history of forward compatability locks.    I've got drawings that were done back on version 6 and when I view them on 8 it asks me to convert them forward.  

So the solution... why don't you upgrade to the current version?  It makes everything viewable and you don't have the backwards compatable issues any more.   

Here's a case where updating has really got no downsides. 

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Honored Advisor
ynoT

[ Edited ]

I do have the curent version, Matt.

The file that I got was made in version 7.

If I was to make changes and then save it in 8, if I send that file back to person that gave me, he wont be able to open it.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded the release 8 sketchup and if you do a file "save as" you will get the following:

sketchup.jpg

so you should be able to save your drawing in any of the past formats it would appear.....

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

[ Edited ]

Your friend should upgrade to the current version, it's free and has no downside.  He probably already has, maybe it is just an old file.

You are talking about an issue that exists with any software.  If you save it with a later version you can't open it in the old version because you may have used features that do not exist in the earlier version.  I know of no software that has backward compatibility.

P-toad is correct you can save as an earlier version but I see no reason to do so.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.