Frequent Visitor
wkbowser

Question about Sketchup

[ Edited ]

As I read the post in the software forum I see a lot of recommendations to use Sketchup. I have tried Sketchup at least four times and even read a book on it. Most often the tutorials will describe the tools which I sort of understand and I can even draw a three dimentional object. Heck, I can even twirl it, spin it and stretch it.

What I don't get at all is how do you get from the three D image in sketchup to a drawing that can actually be used to build something in the shop? I can understand it as a rendering of what the project will look like but as a construction drawing I don't get it. I am used to 2D drawings on paper with all the dimentions to scale showing rabbits and dados etc so you can actually build a project.

There must be tutorial or something that shows how to bridge this gap or is it just a fun toy?

Any help is appreciated.

Bill

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Question about Sketchup

Welcome to the group, Bill.

Rather than having your great question get lost behind Marlen's opening Welcome message, I moved it to be a question of its own in the Software forum (and retitled it - hence the note that I'm the one who edited the entry).

You're sure to get a bunch of great info, and wanted the question to have its best chance for visibility.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Bill,

Sketchup is a very good tool to develop shop drawings for building a project.  Check the thread below titled, "back to basics 3".  In it I have taken a 3d drawing of a router table and created drawings that can be used to bulid the project.

There are many other postings on this forum that also address this issue.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Veteran Advisor
Danl

Bill,

If you do a search, you will find tutorials for Sketchup.  There are some in Youtube.  Here is my advise for learning Sketchup.

Danl

Advisor
Jay In Atlanta

Have to agree with George.  Shop drawings can be viewed and/or printed in the 3D format or in parallel projection to an accuracy of 1/64".  I often print portions of a plan full size to make routing templates.  I'll never be an expert but I consider Sketchup a fine tool - and the price is right.

Frequent Visitor
wkbowser

I just don't understand this thing! I drew a square box and then clicked parallel projection and all I got was a distorted box! Where are are the individual pieces?

George,

I am sure what you say is true but I need far more detail than in you discription. I'm going to turbo cad so I have some instructions as to how to do this. Trying to undersand sketchup from the web is like getting instruction piece by piece from a treasure hunt.

Frustrated

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Hi WK,

Question, did you actually draw a box or just a cube.  Did you actually draw 6 individual sides?

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Frequent Visitor
wkbowser

It seems to the a universal fact that when I am most frustrated with something then that is when I figure it out! I spent Sunday afternoon really trying to figure this thing out. When I finally found the camera views in parallel projection I was able to begin to make sense of it. At least it is becoming clearer. I don't yet have a set of shop drawings but at least they are beginning to look like they should.

It is still a challenge but at least I'm in the game now.

Thanks for the tips.

Bill

Frequent Visitor
wkbowser

[ Edited ]

I'm now into this thing 8 hours and it is awful. Every thing is connected to everything else. All I do is try to figure out the software and not how to design a piece of furniture! Its just not worth it. Its just not for me!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take a pencil and eraser any day over this!!

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

you might want to search some of the other discussions about drawing packages and see if one of them is more to your liking.  I don't have any practical experience with them so really can't guide you, but there are others out here who have, and they do have favorites.   I get frustrated with software that's not as intuitive as I think it should be....and I've been  working with computers for way too many years....  :smileyvery-happy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.