01-13-2011 02:26 AM
I noticed that in the latest issue, in the ask Wood section there are instructions as to how to download the woodgrain textures from this website to the sketchup paint bucket.
I have not tried it yet but it looks useful for sketchup users.
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-13-2011 07:01 PM
This must be for users of the PRO version, I'm running the "freeware" version. I do not have the option of the "Color drop down menu". I went to the aforementioned location and selected http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/woodgrains/
01-14-2011 08:17 AM
Matt the article refers to the wood magazine woodgrains. but the problem is not downloading the images, it is getting them into sketchup after downloading.
01-14-2011 10:38 AM
I've gone thru the procedure and think I can describe all the steps. The result of my test is shown below, I used the "exotic" wood grain for its distinctive appearance.
Here are the steps:
1. click, window - materials, the materials window should open.
2. click, the plus sign inside a circle in the upper right hand corner, the create material window should open.
3. make sure the "Use texture image" box is checked.
4. If you have to check the box a browse for file window will open, find the wood grain jpeg file you downloaded and select it. If the box was already checked go to the right of the file name box and click on the little icon you will find there. This takes you to the browse window. Select your file. Click open.
5. Change the name "Material1" to something different than what you already have in your "wood" list.
6. Select OK.
7. The wood grain appears in the "In Model" section. It will already be selected, i.e. will show a blue box around it. Right click within the blue box, select "save as", navigate to where you want it and select "save". It will be saved as a .skm file you can add it to the SU materials directory within the "wood" subdirectory or you can create your own "Wood Magazine" subdirectory under material.
There is probably an easier way to do this but since it works I offer it as a method to do what you are attempting.
01-14-2011 01:22 PM
Thanks Fred that works.
Halon man, Fred's method works. Print it out so you will have it as you go through the directions. You do not need the pro version.
01-14-2011 05:12 PM
Got it. That did the trick. Thanks to all for the IT support.