Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1
Accepted Solution

Newest issue of WOOD Magazine

I noticed that in the latest issue, in the ask Wood section there are instructions as to how to download the woodgrain textures from this website to the sketchup paint bucket.

I have not tried it yet but it looks useful for sketchup users.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Frequent Contributor
HalonMan

Re: Newest issue of WOOD Magazine

This must be for users of the PRO version, I'm running the "freeware" version. I do not have the option of the "Color drop down menu". I went to the aforementioned location and selected http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/woodgrains/whiteoak_lg.jpg to sample. I'm using a laptop with Firefox as the browser (as recommended by the satellite provider) running Window 7 home edition. I'm still not used to either of these programs. Anyway, my download said complete, I looked under the folder where sketchup resides and noticed that the file did not download and that the file types are different, not jpg's. I ran a search and still could not find this file. Am I doing something wrong? I would be very interested in all of those new patterns.

Two things are sure of in life; Death and Taxes. Not familiar with the first, but well acquainted with the second
Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

I'm sure the instructions should work in the free version.  I have not tried it yet but I will do so today and get back to you.

Wood Online forum Host
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

What's the website that you're trying to download from?

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Matt the article refers to the wood magazine woodgrains.  but the problem is not downloading the images, it is getting them into sketchup after downloading.

Wood Online forum Host
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

What issue number, what page number?

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

issue 203, page 80

Wood Online forum Host
Frequent Contributor
fchap

George,

I've gone thru the procedure and think I can describe all the steps.  The result of my test is shown below, I used the "exotic" wood grain for its distinctive appearance.

wood grain test.jpg

Here are the steps:

1.  click, window - materials, the materials window should open.

2.  click, the plus sign inside a circle in the upper right hand corner,  the create material window should open.

3.  make sure the "Use texture image" box is checked.

4.  If you have to check the box a browse for file window will open, find the wood grain jpeg file you downloaded and select it.  If the box was already checked go to the right of the file name box and click on the little icon you will find there.  This takes you to the browse window.  Select your file.  Click open.

5.  Change the name "Material1" to something different than what you already have in your "wood" list.

6.  Select OK.

7.  The wood grain appears in the "In Model" section.  It will already be selected, i.e. will show a blue box around it.  Right click within the blue box, select "save as", navigate to where you want it  and select "save".  It will be saved as a .skm file you can add it to the SU materials directory within the "wood" subdirectory or you can create your own "Wood Magazine" subdirectory under material.

There is probably an easier way to do this but since it works I offer it as a method to do what you are attempting.

Regards,

Fred

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Yep,

Thanks Fred that works.

Halon man, Fred's method works.  Print it out so you will have it as you go through the directions.  You do not need the pro version.

Wood Online forum Host
Frequent Contributor
HalonMan

Got it. That did the trick. Thanks to all for the IT support.

Wilson

Two things are sure of in life; Death and Taxes. Not familiar with the first, but well acquainted with the second

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.