Veteran Contributor
greybeard106

Need a basic drawing program

Does any one know of a simple basic, free program similar to Auto Cad that can be used with Windows 7?

Sketchup makes no sense to me because I cant figure out a way to input numbers (dimensions) and I'm accustomed to the way I do things in Auto Cad. 

Thanks for any help

Mike

Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

Re: Need a basic drawing program

[ Edited ]

When you start to draw a line in sketchup you will see a box in the bottom right hand corner of your drawing windown. Simply enter your dimension, it will show up in that box and hit enter. If you're drawing a rectangle or square type the dimension for the first side and then a comma and type the dimension for the second side and hit enter.

Skecthup has excellent tutorials available by clicking "watch video tutorials" when you start the program. Highly recommend them. With that said I am downloading a free version of doublecad XT that is supposed to work well with sketchup but is also supposed to be similar to autocad. You can find that HERE

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Veteran Advisor
brianalt

I read on another forum that DraftSight is a pretty good free program. You can download it here: http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/free-cad-software/   

Apprentice Visitor
jamespoff

There is an open source package called "Open office.org" that has a drawing system similar to autocad.  This is available for Windows , mac or linux.

The price is right and it is easy to use.

Senior Contributor
wayne h tinker

I have had the same problem with Sketchup.  I could not dimension exact.  I also could not figure out how to overlay.

I did go into another program, Design Intuition, several years ago that worked fine in both 2d and 3d except I could not draw anything on a bias.  All angles could only be 90 or 180.  I could draw in dimensioning with no problem.  i was told that the problem with agle drawing was being worked out.  That was several years ago, but i have seen no upgrading since.

I did come across, what was then, a great 2d program.  One that I always go back to.  Claris CAD.  It is now obsolete, but still the best 2d and simplest program I have yet come across.  I can draw with that as fast as anything i have found, and do complicated dimensioning at any angle.  I have problems when doing elipses, but that is because i don't go there very often.  I have upgraded my computer to a point where the computer will not recognize the old Claris CAD program.  So, I keep an old laptop just so I can do a few drawings.

The last time I checked out Sketchup, I could not do their latest upgrades with my newest MAC.  They are supposedly working on that problem.

It's  funny in that when I bought my very first computer, i got a MAC (that old box that looked like a gumball machine) because MAC was supposed to be the most friendly for drawing purposes.  Now, it seems that all drawing programs are designed for PC's first.

Tinker

Frequent Visitor
johnreid200

I tried dowloading doublecad, but it asks me for a serial number and I was stopped there.  Any ideas Steve?

Thanks,

John

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

[ Edited ]

I would recommend going with LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice as it's being actively developed and worked on while most of the folks who were working on OpenOffice abandoned it (company and programming politics).  You can find the current copy at download.com here  

Is it possible the Claris Cad would work in any kind of compatability mode on your new computer?   It if needs DOS, there is a good free program called DOSBox which is also available for download here

I'm guessing DoubleCad will send you a key to use with their free product once you register on their site here

Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

It's been a while since I installed it but if I remember right you have to run the registered version for a month or so. Then, it automatcially reverts back to the demo version.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Advisor
Tarner

I had the same problem with sketch up.  I came from an Auto CAD and Unigraphics background and sketch up just didn't make sense to me.  It took me three different times sitting down to try and learn the program.  You just have to think in terms of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).  Forget about X,Y, and Z and just think about direction and the colors are just a reference.  Just give it some time and you will get it.  I really like the sketch up program.

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

The question posed by the original poster in this thread seems to me to be a total contradiction in terms.

"Does any one know of a simple basic, free program similar to Auto Cad "  Auto Cad is not simple or basic, and it certainly is not free or even cheap.

It is a really good cad program used by lots of folks.  Most of whom pirated a copy from work and brought it home.

Sketchup is the perfect simple, basic, free drawing program, but it is not similar to auto-cad since auto-cad is none of those.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.