Apprentice Member
RickK377179

How to draw fixed length, parallel, diagonal lines in Sketch-Up?

Using Sketch-up, I am trying to draw the diagonal partitions that are part of the X's in typical wine cabinets. How do I draw parallel lines at a specified angle and have them begin on one of the diagonal shelves and terminate precisely on the wall of the cabinet? If I wanted to seat them in dados, how would I accomplish this? Thanks!

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Re: How to draw fixed length, parallel, diagonal lines in Sketch-Up?

[ Edited ]

hello Rick

I was not sure exactly what you are asking, so I just drew a quick example.  In the drawing below I drew the sides of a box, then drew a diagional line from corner to corner.  I put guide marks every 6 inches up the one side. then copied the diagional line begining at the guide marks.

The diagional lines are parrallel and the same length is this what you are talking about?

parel.jpg

In this picture I cut the diagional lines where they crossed the edges of the box

parel 2.jpg

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Advisor
Jay In Atlanta

Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem too tough.  Following up on George's post I'd first use the protractor for the desired angle off the shelf (in this case 90°).

Wine Rack.jpg

Then draw two parallel lines ½ the thickness of the desired shelf and a guideline for the depth of the dado

Wine Rack3.jpg

Then create the angled shelf by tracing the guidelines with the line tool.  (push/pull to desired length and make it a component.

Wine Rack4.jpg

Hide the shelf and create the mating dado by editing the box top component (line tool & push/pull)

Wine Rack6.jpg

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

[ Edited ]

Hello Jay,

I have put wine racks in existing kitchen cabinets several times.   What I do is remove the doors, and put a lattice like the one below just behind the face frame, and another identical one about 4 inches from the back.

Wine lattice.jpg

I guess the origional poster is no longer following the thread.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Advisor
Jay In Atlanta

Looks good George.  Would keep me in wine for a long time.

Jay

Apprentice Member
RickK377179

Jay, thanks for the prompt and very helpful reply. Also, please excuse my delay in responding my thanks. I was "forced" to visit with the in-laws for a few days! I actually stumbled onto almost your exact solution through my continued trial and error. I think my problem initially was that I was not trying to place the shelf into a 3D box. I actually figured out the step using the protractor to set a guide line. However, it seems that without a 3D structure in place, when I tried to P/P to the desired length, the program assumes I want to do this in one of the XYZ planes such that I could not reproducibly construct a 3/4" board. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.