Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

Box tutorial

[ Edited ]

Lets get back to basics.  If you are just starting with sketchup, try this tutorial,  a basic box.

We will make this box 12" by15 " and 6 inches high.  The sides and bottom are 3/4" thick.

bb.jpg

First we draw a 12" by 15" rectangle at the junction of the green and red axis.  This is done by clicking on the rectangle tool then click at the point where the two axis intersect.  Now as you move the mouse you will see a rectangle that changes as you move the mouse.  We want the rectangle to be 12" by 15", so just enter 12,15 on the keyboard and you will see it appear in the small box in the lower left corner of the screen.  When you hit enter the rectangle is created.

now click on the push pull tool then click on the rectangle you just drew. As you move the mouse the rectancle will change to a cube and move up or down depending on the mouse movement.  Now enter 6 on the keyboard and it will appear in the small box in the lower left. Hit enter and you have changed the rectangle into a cube that is 12 by 15 by 6.

Next we use the offset tool.  Click on it then click on one of the upper edges of the cube.  As you move the mouse you will seee the offset change.  If you enter 3/4 on the keyboard and hit enter you will see the 3/4 offset drawn on top of the cube.

Now back to the push pull tool click on it and then use the mouse to hover over the cube.  As you move the mouse around you can either highlight the center portion of the cube or the edges depending where the mouse is located.  Highlight the center portion and click.  now as you move the mouse you can either push in or pull out the center part.  Push the center in a bit then enter 5.25 on the keyboard.  you have now pushed the center in 5.25 inches leaving 3/4 of an inch at the bottom.

Thats it you have now drawn your first box.  Try it and let me know how you did.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Senior Advisor
john880

Re: Box tutorial

Mor'n George,

I did just fine, thank you. Built three. Using the eraser each time. 

On our earlier discussion on me trying to draw the cat. Chair.  I found that the blue rotating arrow tips just to the left of the hands let me see what I had done,,,,by looking all around.

A question came up last night, as you sujested, on one of your method. Maybe a little later. Without muddying the water's here.

Admirable endeavor sir.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.