Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

woodturners jacket

Do any of you use a special jacket or shirt that keeps the chips sliding off instead of sticking?  I think Iwould like to have one but I wanted to check here first to see if you all used them and what you like/dislike about them.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: woodturners jacket

[ Edited ]

I've got the Lee Valley turning smock.   Not bad.   Chips do stick to the elastic material on the sleeve cuffs, but that's no biggie.   It's great to have a smock that secures at the neck to keep chips from going inside your shirt.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Advisor
Rrandy

I know a guy that swears by a starched cotton dress shirt. He cuts the pocket off and the button sleeve keeps the loose clothing issue at bay. In the cooler weather it isn't an issue but when it warms up I hate anything more than a Tshirt.

I saw a woodshop class that used the light weight slicker suit tops but then again that was a class and designed to protect clothing for only a short time. All day in one of those might get warm.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
NCPaladin

I guess I’m just too frugal (my bride also sews).  I bought a Dickies work shirt 2X larger and tall for $5.  With the collar tuned up the chips stay out but it would still like to add Velcro to make it a little tighter; and also add some type of tie at the waist for when my daughter uses it.

Cut the sleeves at the elbow and used the cuffs for pockets on the upper arm for diamond honing, etc.  Sewed one front pocket to hold a regular pencil, lumber pencil, china marker, and magic marker.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

I use the AAW smock.  It is lightweight with ventilation mesh under the arms and on the back.  It has nice roomy pockets on the hips with flaps so that they will not collect shavings and dust.  It zips up snugly to the neck so that shavings won't get down your collar.  The sleeves are half-length.  Even though we had temperatures well over 100° F this summer, the smock was still tolerable (not that anything feels great when the temperature is over the century mark.  You can get any color that you want as long as it is blue.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Obviously I don't know how to keep shavings off my jacket.     During the summer months I just wear a short sleeve shirt and keep it untucked  so the shavings fall out.   During the winter I wear a fleece jacket with a nylon windbreaker over it to shed the shavings.  

I do have a turning smock that I bought from the AAW.  I like it wear it during the inbetween months.shaving-jacket.jpg

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

What a fashion statement, John!

Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

John I think I would pay for an autographed copy of this! 

Senior Contributor
NCPaladin

I want one like Johns. 

I will never have to sweep up again, just go outside and shake it off once in a while.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Yea but you get in major trouble when you wear this in the house to go to the bathroom.  :smileyhappy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.