Honored Advisor
johnclucas

new bowls

I'm trying to get back into segmented turning.   I decided to turn a bowl just like the ones I made about 20 years ago.  I made a lot of these.    It was fun remembering the different glue up procedures and working out how to do them again.   segmented-bowl.jpg

this is a honey locust bowl that I turned with not foot.   I'm doing this as part of an article I'm working on about carved feet. 

Honey-Locust-bowl.jpg

Veteran Contributor
ric47

Re: new bowls

Both of those are very nice.

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Very nice John. The honey locust looks a lot like a china berry I made before. I have not done any locust.

LEO
Forums Host
Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Sounds like a nostalgia trip, John.  However, just remember what they say, "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." :smileyvery-happy:

Senior Contributor
charliew

Very nice as usual. On the segmented bowl is the top and bottom walnut or mahogony?

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Top and bottom are Mahagony.  I had some 1/4" cutt offs from another project and found them while I was looking for wood to cut up to test my new saw.  Then I dug around some more and found a 1 foot square piece so I cut a blank out to use for the bottom.    I would not normally use solid wood for a bottom on a bowl this size but I've found out that I can get away with it using mahagony.     Normally what I'll do is make home made plywood.  I'll resaw some wood into 1/8" veneer and orient the grain 90 degrees to each other.  I might make the top and bottom layers thickers since I will often be turning them a little bit.   This gives me a bottom that won't move with moisture changes so it's more stable.

Frequent Contributor
z_fbs

nice bowls

I like more the segmrnted bowl.what is the dimension of the bowl?

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

This bowl is about 6" around not quite 3" tall I think.    I just grabbed whatever piece of maple I had laying around and glued a piece of Mahagony on both sides.  then I sliced it into segments using my Makita 1016L that I just bought.   It was off just a hair so I glued it together in half rings and them flattened these so they fit perfectly.     I mounted this on the lathe and turned a rebate for the bottom.    then I turnd the bottom and glued it in leaving the waste block on it.  I mounted this on the lathe and turned the whole bowl. 

Frequent Contributor
sharkeytx

Very nice John!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.