Contributor
davidna

Top coat for boiled linseed oil?

I just finished three turnings with BLO. They have been heat cured. Now, can I top coat them with something other than urethanes to seal them? Danish oil? Brushing lacquer such as Deft clear wood finish? Thanks for the help.
Veteran Contributor
fgvanatta

Re: Top coat for boiled linseed oil?

I normally use shellac - you can apply shellac under or over anything.

Frank
Senior Contributor
Dan Gallo

I use Deft spray lacquer with good results.

Dan in So.Ca.
Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

I use various types of oil finishes.  I really like pure tung oil, but it is horribly expensive.  Lately, I have been using walnut oil and it has become my favorite.  I do not use the type of walnut oil found in the paint department of stores, but the type found in the grocery store.  It costs a lot less and it is pure walnut oil without any VOCs or dryers.  An oil finish is a perfectly good finish by itself without the need for any sort of top coat.  I do not care for the glossy plastic look that many film finishes produce, but if you must, I suggest Deft spray lacquer or shellac.  The nice thing about an oiled finish is that it is renewable whereas a film finish is not so easily renewed.

Contributor
jwoodwright

They now sell a walnut oil that is safe and even builds a finish.  I got some here in Anchorage, so I know it's available lower 48.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Since walnut oil catalyzes, it does actually form a protective layer, but not quite as hard as regular varnish finish.  I like it because of the soft sheen that it produces plus the way that it pops the grain.  Any catalyzing oil can be used as a finish.  This would include linseed oil and nut oils like tung and walnut.  Just don't use any type of mineral oil since they do not catalyze.

Contributor
davidna

Sincere thanks for all the replies.  I'm curious about using walnut oil.  I really like what BLO does to the grain, but I don't care for the lingering smell.  I need to learn the differences between the walnut oils from the paint department, the craft supply stores, and the grocery stores.

David

Veteran Contributor
demardist86

I am reading that a few guys are using CA (crazy Glue). I have not as yet tryed it myself.Marvin

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

[ Edited ]
               Sincere thanks for all the replies.  I'm curious about using 
               walnut oil.  I really like what BLO does to the grain, but I 
don't care for the lingering smell. I need to learn the
differences between the walnut oils from the paint
department, the craft supply stores, and the grocery stores.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the grocery store walnut oil. It is nothing but pure walnut oil. It is found where other salad oils like olive oil would be found. It can also be used to make a wonderful walnut balsamic vinaigrette. It also has a wonderful light walnut fragrance that does not last very long, but sure does beat the smell from stuff that has mineral spirits, naphtha, and other VOC's added. Pure tung oil also has a nice fragrance, but as I indicated, it is horribly expensive and sometimes what you buy as pure tung oil, really is not pure.

Senior Contributor
 - Cork-

Walnut oil sounds interesting.  I'm concerned about the dry/cure time.  I usually allow about 48 hrs. for BLO, would it be about the same for walnut oil?

Cork

Freedom is a word for nothing left to lose.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.