Apprentice Member
Rockiesview

Steady Rest

I'm sure some have built their own steady rests, will anyone post a description/picture of  their device?  

I have some ideas, just need to locate some non-marring wheels. I would like to built something for long spindle support and then a rest for bowls (at outert edges).

thanks for any support.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Re: Steady Rest

Do a google search for wood lathe steady rests.  You will find a lot.  You might try Homemade steady rests as well

Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

[ Edited ]

For the non-marring wheels look at consignment shops, yard sales, or flea markets for inline skates.  I found a pair for 5 bucks at a flea market.  I haven't made the steady rest yet but have the wheels for when I am ready.

Here is the one I intend to copy.

http://azwoodturners.org/SteadyRest.pdf

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

I made one a few years back, for the wheels I went to a "toysRus" and bought skateboard wheels.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Advisor
bzy3

Here is one of the ones that I have made.

Wheels were from used inline roller skates picked up for five bucks at the good will store.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to a very good one:  Steady Rest

The file is a zip file that you need to extract the pdf file from.

Veteran Advisor
rxeagle

I based mine on William's. My wheels came from goodwill and cost about $3. Only about half of the wheels were not worn bad enough to still call round, but for the price who can complain.

Bill , Your link only leads to a log in.

Gerald Lawrence @ The Eagles Nest
Brandon,MS
Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

[ Edited ]

Oh, I forgot tht you have to belong to the Sawmill Creek forum to aqccess certain information there.  I will see if there is another link.

EDIT:  I founds a link to the tutorial on the author's web site at this link:  http://www.jnjwoodsmithing.com/index.php?p=1_13_Tutorials.

The version on his web site does not have all of the photographs which is a major problem.  You could register at the Sawmill Creek site to access the tutorial.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Round this by searching google for "wood lathe steady rests"

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_articles.php?catid=36

The one made by Russ Fairfield is about as simple and effective as it gets.

Frequent Contributor
ron4247175

I fabricated a steady rest using woodworkers journal magazine article on how to fabricate  a 4 point steady rest, using (t-tract and t-bolts ) the t-tract is to guide the t-bolts (bought 4 ea - t- bolts HD plumbing) to attach the wheels. It's perfect for my jet 10/15 lathe, small and compact but sturdy. I use it all the time, as a matter fact, the last time was making a handle for a scraper chisel.

For my 12/20 jet lathe I used  Bill Williams 3 point steady rest, what a monster of a unit, but runs true and extreamly sturdy. and safe. No wooble in either steady rest.

Could not find that particular article but did find a 3 point steady rest with a good set of instructions

1. google search block (woodworkers journal how to make a steady rest

2. web page click on the first one showing. 

3. your instructions.

Maybe you could  contact W/J magazine for that particular 4 point steady rest article? If you find it, if you could post it that would be great.

In the mean time could someone  explaine to me the advantages and or disadvantages for a 3 point versus a 4 point steady rest> I have both but partial to the 4 point. And at what speed is safe to use. Me I use 580 rpm

Wheels I bought at a thrift store, great buy top of the line wheels.

Thanks Ron Marietta Ga

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.