Senior Contributor
william young

Seam Ripper

[ Edited ]

Made these after lunch today after a member of another site started a topic about them yesterday.

Picked up four  rippers when I was in town this morning (blue ones) white one is one my wife has had for years.
These are a great little project to turn. Takes about ten minutes each.
A good idea for ones like me that have hundreds of pen blanks   but the market for pens in their particular area has all but dried up.

I expect these will sell very good at craft sales because a lot of sewers and seamstress's and quilters  either visit or have tables set up at them so they attract a good clientele of people looking for such things.
I expect they should sell real good for  $5.00 . Not bad for  a $1.00 piece of hardware and ten minutes of turning .

From left to right is  elm, plum, spalted birch, figured walnut, and dymondwood.
Wife is claiming one but is still trying to decide between the plum and the spalted birch.

Pictures are of before and after.

5708i4C7A2A6525650AB2

5710i277035666D07D0B4

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

Re: Seam Ripper

I like them William.   LOML spied the dymondwood right off.  Looks like I will be placing an order for some. 

I had just turned a handle for my craft/Xacto knife and thought about a seam ripper handle.  Evidently you can get just the ripper part from a specialty store.  However, I like your idea of using the supplied cap to protect the end. 

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Senior Contributor
william young

[ Edited ]

I got the idea from a thread that a lady member of my own site started after I showed a picture of a 3D wall hanging that my wife finished just yesterday . The lady provided a video and the ones I made at the top of this thread were made according to the video.(with some modifications)
Then someone else answered and showed a picture of his where he uses both halves of the ripper . So I went out to my shop and tried that with these three and I like them a lot better made this way.

Still only takes ten minutes either way. These have to be one of the simplest things to make on a lathe. Even simpler than a pen. Great way to use up some surplus pen blanks. .

Some are saying they get ten bucks for them. Sounds high to me. I might try a little higher than  $5.00 for a while but I prefer to sell out of fast moving small items  rather than bringing them back home. One in the hand worth two in the bush sort of thing.

5716i0E2CABCD3CD573AA

Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

I just checked the thread on your site.  I too like the clear end attached to the handle.  I know I would lose the cap straight away if I had to keep up with it loose. 

I really like your site.  That Les from Red Deer is something else with his casting.  I bought some resin today to give casting a shot.  I don't expect to get to his level but I am going to give it a shot.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Senior Contributor
william young

[ Edited ]

Beaver Creek Woodworks wrote:

I just checked the thread on your site.  I too like the clear end attached to the handle.  I know I would lose the cap straight away if I had to keep up with it loose. 

Thanks for the comments.

Actually the ripper reverses and  pushes in from either direction   so it won't get lost whether  in use or stored.  The only difference is that a bigger hole has to be drilled when using the whole thing  rather  than the way shown in the original  picture. .

Hope that is understandable. If not please ask and I will try to clarify.

Oh yes, you mentioned Les . He is a friend of mine and is by far the best pen turner that I know of . Doesn't matter what he makes them from they are always the highest degree of perfection .  I have turned a few  pens from blanks  I got from him in a blank swap  and  his casted blanks  are better quality than any of the  ones I have bought over the years.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

All I have to do is bend over and I can rip the seam right out of my pants.  Why would I need one of those.   :smileyhappy:   Good job Bill.  My mother would love one but she probably already has 2 or 3. 

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

(1)  nicely done.

(2) strange timing since I was just using one of these the other day while modifying something for youngest daughter.

(3) Still would suggest cooking thermometer cover for turners.  I don't have a lathe...or room for one.  :smileysad:

Advisor
JohnModi

Nice job as usual William. I too saw that thread and have got to give it a try. Just haven't been to the store lately to pick up a few seam rippers.

Looks like it could be a nice addition to the craft table.

Senior Contributor
william young

JohnModi wrote:

Nice job as usual William. I too saw that thread and have got to give it a try. Just haven't been to the store lately to pick up a few seam rippers.

Looks like it could be a nice addition to the craft table.

Yes John, I hope it turns out to be a good craft sale item .

It's gotta be better than pens for a while anyway . I have reached such a saturation point on pens in my area that I am stuck with about 100 of them .

Sure pays to have a variety   of turnings  at craft sales and keep making something new and different for them to see.

So many are buying mini lathes and the first thing they make  are pens because they are one of the easiest things to make on a lathe.  I know many are getting caught with a bunch of  non saleable  pen stock like I did after  a while  . When they do they will either give up or start turning a variety of things.

Way too many are giving their pens away now  because of no sales  and it makes it hard for the ones that want to make a buck on them.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.