Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Router jig for fluting at the lathe

Hey, guys.

Does anybody have a quick snapshot handy of a router jig that they've made for their lathe?   I've got to lay in some long grooves on a 24" long spindle with a core box bit and it'd probably be helpful to sneak a peek at a photo so as to not reinvent the wheel.

Thxmuchly!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Contributor
ric47

Re: Router jig for fluting at the lathe

I made one that is a table mounted on a dowel that goes into the tool banjo. You would have to move it down the bed for a 24" cut, but the idea for mounting the router would be the same. You might make the table with two supports on it that clamp to the bed on each end so you have a long table the full length of the flute you need to make.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/router_jig.htm

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

You could modify what I've done.  I make a platform to fit in the tool rest.  You don't really need the tool rest.  You could make a platform that fits on the lathe bed.  Here are two options.fluting-jig.jpg

This one is used off the lathe.  It has screws in the end to hold the turning and another screw to lock the turning to the desired location.  You could probably modify this to fit on the lathe and use the headstock and tailstock.  The router sits in the rabbits on the top of the boards.bed-mounted-router-jig.jpg

Veteran Contributor
Sylvio

Coupe des Rainures Horizontales.JPGHere's one I made a few years back for a special fluting operation.  Worked good but had no occasion to use it again since.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

I ended up cobbling one together, along with finding the need for a few specialty features.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

In the meantime - happy Thansgiving, everyone!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.