Frequent Contributor
woodgrinder

Powermatic 3520A

I recently bought a used 3520A, question is what the best way to remove the live center?  On the 'B' just returning the tail extension pushes the live center out but not on the 'A'. 

Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

Re: Powermatic 3520A

Most lathes come with a knock out rod.  It is a 1/4" or 3/8" rod with a handle on it.  You insert it through the tail stock and "knock" the center out by tapping by hand or with a mallet.  If your lathe didn't come with one, you can improvise with a piece of steel dowel from the BORG. 

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Honored Advisor
johnclucas

The A has the same self ejecting tailstock quill as the B.  It must be stuck.  Rather than force the quill feed handle and possibly damaging the drive thread, use the knock out bar.  If you have a hollow center and knock out bar won't work crank the quill back until there is a little more space between the back of the live center and the tailstock face.  Them put a scraper or skew in that gap and lever the live center out.

Frequent Contributor
woodgrinder

Was there by chance a 3520 before the 'A' as my tail does not have a hollow center.  The wheel is attached via a threaded rod with a lock nut.  Looking at the schmatic the other end of the threaded rod is threaded into the quill and the rod is solid.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

I think there were actually 2 3520's before the A series.   One made in McMinnville, TN about 30 miles from me, and the other one made overseas.  There were minor differences and I don't remember what they were.  

Frequent Contributor
woodgrinder

Apparently mine is an original as the manual shows McMinnville, TN.  Removing the live center is really cumbersome.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

I have a freind who has an original one but for the life of me can't remember who it is.  I did turn on one once and don't remember having a problem with the live center.   It is possible your live center has a tang that is too short and therfore won't self eject when you crank the tailstock back.   Have you been able to remove the tailcenter.  If you have put it in very lightly and crank the quill back.  It should eject the live center.  If it doesn't compare it to another #2 morse taper accessory if you have one.   See if it's shorter.    In the meantime I'll try my best to remember which friend has the original 3520 and ask him. 

Another possibility is to post the same question here. 

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

There is a much wider audience of serious turners who might have that lathe.

Frequent Contributor
woodgrinder

Problem solved, this was a used lathe I bought from the owner's widow.  It came with two live centers, on has a ahorter taper than the other, of course I grabbed the short one first.  I tried the longer taper and it ejects just fine.  I guess I was just to focused on the problem and not doing some basics of checking further.  Thanks to all that replied.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Yea, success.  It finally dawned on me last night before I wrote this that some mini lathes will not eject certain tailstocks because of the length.  On my mini lathe the tailstock has to be extended some because the longer tang on a few of my accessories won't let it seat with the Quill fully retracted.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.