Apprentice Contributor
lpouliot

Outboard Lathe Turning Stand

I'm looking for an article I seen in a magazine on making an Outboard Lathe Turning Stand.  It was made from piping and other pieces.

Does anyone know of this article, or know in which magazine it was in.

Thanks in advance.

Lou

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Re: Outboard Lathe Turning Stand

Don't waste your time.  I built one out of pipe a truck wheel and some heavy steel. It still isn't heavy enough.  It has to be really really heavy to work.    The work wants to pull the gouge into it and if the stand isn't really solid it tend to either bounce the tool or simply pulls the tool in until you get a catch. 

I've used the Powermatic free standing tool rest and it does work.  It probably weights 80 to 100lbs.   The best system I've seen is the one that Vicmarc sells that attaches to the lathe.  It sits on the floor and is attached to the lathe with  a sort of elbow type system.  I used something similar that a friend built for his lathe it works a lot better than the free standing ones.

Here is a link to the Vicmarc site.  Go dosn to the bottom to see the attached tool rest.

http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=545

Apprentice Contributor
lpouliot

Thanks John,

I seen those that is not it.  I Stand did attache to the lathe at the bottom. it was fully adjustable up down and in and out.

Lou

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

I seem to remember that some one sent in a tip for adding a floor standing tool rest to a Jet or powermatic lathe.   It was in American Woodturner.   I'm not at home so I can't look it up.   It might be on this site.  I won't have time to search it out until tonight.   Maybe you can find it.    http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/

Apprentice Contributor
lpouliot

Thanks John,  I found it there.  I found it in the magazine Woodturning Design.  Winter 2008.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.