Advisor
Rrandy

Made in USA Pen Kits?

I've looked but can't find American hardware for making pens. Does that exist? The wife and I are getting frustrated by not being able to be able to say "Made in the USA". I'd have bought american tools but just try finding them, seems like everything is being made overseas now...not necessarily "bad" but.....

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Re: Made in USA Pen Kits?

I haven't been able to find any. I don't think they exist.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Senior Contributor
william young

I don''t believe there are any made in North  America.

The ones from China are  generally  TERRIBLE and you can usually tell they are made there  when they are advertised as  hobby  line  or something along those lines ,  DAMHIKT . They are always priced lower than the  better quality  made in Taiwan  ones.

The best I have found are made in Taiwan and I personally prefer  Berea kits  because they have been totally trouble free for me after having all kinds of problems with China made ones. .

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

[ Edited ]

I agree with William on the Berea. They are of better quality than most. I have also had good luck with Penn State Industries. They have a nice 4-way screwdriver kit and a scratch awl that make great gifts.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Can't help you with the pens but if you want American tools contact Doug Thompson at www.thompsonlathertools.com.   Not only are they American made, they are about the best out there.  They are pretty much state of the art metal for turning tools.  They take and hold an edge for a very long time and the design of the tools is excellent. 

Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

John,

The link to Thompson tool you supplied is not working.  I found this one http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/default.asp  Is this the Thompson you are speaking of?

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Advisor
JohnModi

Greg, I don't mean to jump in and answer for John, but that is the one I believe he was referring to.

I picked up a couple of their tools in Nashville. So far I am really pleased with them. They come ready to use and really cut good. They seem to hold an edge. I have not sharpened them yet, but looks like they should be real straight forward to follow the grind that is on them.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Frequent Reader
mwilley9

[ Edited ]

A little late to jump into this thread but I saw it here and wondered if there is still interest on this forum of made in the USA pen kits? The pen shown below is made from black acrylic (sorry, not wood) on a made in the USA kit made with stainless steel parts.

We are the manufacturer of these kits and if I am out of line posting on this thread, I apologize. I just wanted to put it out there to make anyone who is interested aware of it. Thanks for looking.

Marksman-Black Acrylic

Veteran Advisor
Carl_Fisher

I was just going to post about the Marksman kits.  But it appears that I was beat to the punch by the man himself :smileyhappy:

I've heard glowing reviews over these kits from the IAP members.  Definintely check out his products.

Old NY Guy

So...... Where do I find these kits?? Thanks in advance.

Bob
No trees were harmed in this transmission, However, a qreat many electrons were inconvenienced!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.