Honored Advisor
krumy205747
Accepted Solution

Lathe live center

I was shopping for a new live center for my lathe and stumbled on to this set. It says it's for a metal lathe but the morse taper is right for mine. Is there any reason something like this wouldn't work on a small wood lathe?

Live center set

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Lathe live center

none at all...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

My live center came from a metal working supply house.  If the taper fits you should be good.  Just make sure it has a 60 degree cone.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Advisor
Rrandy

The only reason it wouldn't work is if the Morse taper on it is 1 size bigger than your tailstock. Tailstock a #2 MT and the live center a #3MT it won't fit in. One size smaller will work with an adaptor...#2MT tailstock and #1MT live center with a #1 to #2 adaptor.

They do make a #2 to #3 but it will stick the live center way out of the tailstock. On a small lathe this will eat up your working length and be prone to unstable. On a large lathe the thing is still prone to unstable. I'm sure almost everyone knows this but in case there is anyone who is afraid to ask.... 

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
NCPaladin

Looks like it should work to me.

You may also want to look at one made for woodworking as most allow you to customize very easily.

Such as http://novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Live-Centre-System-5015.htm?categoryId=-1

Some the the custom centers I have made are shown below.

Nova Live Center 3.jpgNova Live Center 4.jpgNova Live Center 5.jpg

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Thanks to all who replied, the nova package does make more sense. Thought I might save a few bucks but would probably not be satisfied.

Steve K

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

As long as the taper fits your lathe it will work.   You probably have a #2 although some small lathes have a #1 and the big Oneway lathes have a #3.

I prefer this one.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020433/22893/Nova-Live-Center-System.aspx

The nice thing about the Nova is that the accessory points are all very short #2 morse tapers.  It's very easy to turn other points out of wood to fit the live center.   I used one last night to make a box lid.   It was thin and I was afraid a pointed center would damage it so I pulled out one of my flat wooden inserts and used that to hold the lid onto the box while I turned the box.    I'll post a photo of the box later today when I have time to shoot. it.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

[ Edited ]

The only potential issue for me is that there are no cup centers with a sharp center point.  The cone type points could drift in some types of wood that have a big difference between early and late wood.  Check out the Sanding Glove.  They have the MultiStar lineup of live centers made in the UK that looks a lot like the one you show and has tips that are more suited for woodturning.  I have the Super 32 model.

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Bill Boehme wrote:

Check out the Sanding Glove. 

Thank you

Bookmarked it

Steve K

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Ditto what Bill said.  I use a cup center for 90 percent of what I turn.  I rarely use the pointed centers.   The only reason I use the different diameter centers is to go into a specific hole so that hole stays centered such as turning tool handles. 

I did like the sanding glove live centers.  I worked for Bruce at one of the symposiums and drooled over those centers. 

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.