Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Lathe height

Is there a standard lathe height you all go by?  maybe a certain place on the body that is ideal?  I think mine is a little high, I have it sitting on top of my workbench because I really don't have room to build a stand for it although I would love to.

Senior Contributor
dpuskar

Re: Lathe height

Probably elbow height.

Senior Contributor
NCPaladin

The rule of thumb is elbow height.  Mine is about 1&1/2" taller, I think... its hard to hold a tape measure and measure your elbow to the floor.   Have you watched Doug's video where he discusses this?

Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Not yet, been busy, I've been wanting to watch it though, I will very soon!

Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

Mine are a couple different heights.  The midi is on a workbench and is right at chest height on me.  I turn mainly pens on it, and I like it high.  I didn't know I would.  I put it there temporally and I have never changed it.  When I build a stand for it I will leave it at that elevation.

My big lathe is a little less than elbow height.  I feel I get more leverage that way.  Bending over it is sorta tough though.  I may move it up a little.

That said I would start at elbow height and adjust it to where it is comfortable for you.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Advisor
Rrandy

I think the "right height" is one that allows you to see the work, be able to work with shoulders relaxed and not hunched up, and allows you to work without stooping or bending. Stooping or bending will put a strain on the back and cause one to tire quickly. I could go on about alert, focused, and safety but that is known. One thing to keep in mind with a lathe is it is spinning and if you lean over or bend over to work the clothing will want to dangle closer to the spinning piece.

I'm finding that with age comes bifocals and they seem to dictate belt buckle high or armpit high. IMO the correct height takes all this into consideration and the position that causes no pain and allows you to see the work is what to shoot for. Without going for a unit type measurement like inches, my right height is centerline of the lathe is close to belly button or elbow high. 

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Good responses.  Mine is about 1 1/2" above elbow for the reasons mentioned.   I can stand up straight without hunching my shoulders and my bifocals just happen to focus at that distance.     Height is not a hard fast rule.  If your uncomfortable change your style of turning or the lathe height or even the tool rest height.

Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

I just went out and checked mine after viewing a video Mike loaned me, mine is way too high, I didn't realize how much my shoulders were hunched up while turning, I might build a small platform tomorrow just to check and see what I think.

Advisor
Rrandy

When we first started turning it was on a metal lathe and the centers were almost armpit high on me and much higher on my wife so I built a step/platform for her. I also used it so to my point...don't fall off stepping partways on the edge. I ended up destroying a coffee maker, a 4 tube shop light, a metal 40 gallon trash can, a cheap turning tool and my pride all in one misstep. Bottom line...be careful on a platform.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Randy that is a great piece of advice and I appreciate it!!!  This tells me I should make the platform large enough to make sure I don't step off it and in that line of thinking it may be worth building a stand if I have a platform taking up that much floor space anyway.  Kudos to you!  Sorry for your mishap. 

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.