Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

John Lucas, woodturning "Rock Star"

The Lamp Gun Case project that John Lucas spent so much time developing and documenting its progress on this forum has been featured in a two page spread in the latest issue of American Woodturner on the inside front cover and page 1.  As always, his photography of the cleverly conceived and beautifully executed project is outstanding.

Now that John is famous, I wonder if he will still pal around with us.

Of course, since all burglars read American Woodturner, they will know that the lamp is really a gun case.

Honored Advisor
handy-dan

Re: John Lucas, woodturning "Rock Star"

Yeah John!!!  Always makes me happy to here when someone gets recognized for their creativity and ability to execute it.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Honored Advisor
johnclucas

I also have the photo of the cover.  I shot my friend Kim Winkles piece before I retired. 

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

[ Edited ]

I really like the front cover photo -- it looks like the background was creed to complement the painted design on the candlesticks.  I like it when somebody comes up with a fresh new idea.  Candlesticks are typically simple spindles without much inspiration.  The ones on the cover by Kimberly Winkle are inspiring.  I may actually turn  couple of them using some of her ides.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Bill   I didn't do that background.  The artists that I shot for liked my work because the background is plain and very clean.  It forces you to look at thier work.   I had a few who went to a commercial photographer and the back he used competed with the image.    On the cover image they cut out the candlesticks and added a detail of Kim's pencil drawings enlarged and then turned gray and then reduced in density until it was much lighter.    Made a nice cover but I can't can't claim to have done the back ground.  

On the inside in the article you can see an example of how I usually shot Kim's work which is how she likes it.

Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

Congratulations Mr. Lucas!!

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Veteran Advisor
Ted in Michigan

Congrats, John. Love your work & your videos. The recognition is well deserved.

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Great, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this has happened several times, awesome work John.

Frequent Contributor
al10410

John isn't that you in Wood Turning Design magazine?  You really are "Rock Star".

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

I did have an article in one issue and I think have another one on carving feet in the next issue of Woodturning Design.  Joe Hermann has been nice to me over the years and published quite a few articles.    I like to think of myself as more of a Pet Rock, than rock star.   :smileyhappy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.