Apprentice Contributor
wcmeyer

Jet 1442 belt

Have a 4 year old Jet 1442. Looks like time to replace the belt. Would appreciate input on a couple questions.

Is this a dyi job? If not, what should I expect to pay a Jet service center to change belt?

Is replacing existing belt with a link belt a viable option?

regards

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Jet 1442 belt

I'd be curious to also learn if a link belt will work with the 1442's Reeves drive.    My gut says probably not, but it's been wrong before...

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

[ Edited ]

wcmeyer,

Here's a link to the manual if you don't have one.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/m_708358k.pdf See page 20.

The procedure looks fairly simple.  It's a DIY job if you have some very basic tools.  I just went through some of the same thing on my Delta.  I did have an issue with a set screw, but they are usually not a problem.

Good luck

Frequent Contributor
ron4247175

Just a thought, someone suggested this years ago.  If your in  need  to change a belt for any  lathe , buy 2 ea.  Then install both, using one that will be attached and used on the pulleys the other secured and out of the way. Time to change, no problem. cut old belt, new belt waiting. This will save you time and frustration, Ron Marietta Ga.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

[ Edited ]

Changing belts is a snap and can be done in just a few minutes.  Even if you have never done it, I suspect that it would be less than a 30 minute job where the actual work would be about 10 minutes and 20 minutes figuring things out.

My recommendation would be to NOT get two belts.  The biggest factor in belts wearing out is not typically from friction, but due to the rubber hardening and cracking due to a phenomenon known as "ozone cracking".  Ozone cracking is the technical term for what most people call "dry rotting".  A lathe belt is good for about four or five years whether it is mounted on the lathe or if it is just hanging there and doing nothing.  Once the rubber in a belt becomes brittle from ozone cracking, it is fairly useless, even if it has not been used in service.

Here is how to tell if a belt has hardened from ozone cracking -- turn it inside out and then crimp it into a tight radius -- do you see hairline cracks open up when  you do this?  If so, the belt has hardened from ozone cracking and is on its last leg.  You can also inspect bandsaw tires in place to see if there are transverse cracks.

Apprentice Contributor
wcmeyer

thanks for input. Spoke to Jet customer servise tech line and they didn't know if a link belt would work or not with the variable speed. Since lathe is still under warranty will likely just take to Jet service center to let them check the bearings and at same time get belt change. 

Senior Contributor
william young

That belt is very easy to change. I changed dozens of them  back when  I  had a Reeves drive lathe. I  used an industrial quality belt rather than the cheap belt that came on the lathe. Take the original belt to your automotive parts store  for them to measure it and have them order you in some  industrial  quality belts . They will cost a LOT less than ordering a belt from Jet and you will get a lot better one.

Some people  say they don't go through many belts on a lathe with Reeves  drive  while others like me went through a lot.

I think it is proportionate to the number of hours  spent on the lathe and the size of the turnings . I put a LOT of hours on mine  often turning bowls up to the maximum size allowable between the spindle and bed.  .

I would never consider buying a  lathe  with a Reeves drive system  again  that eats up  belts and has the motor mounted backwards. I had to make a spindle extension to  get some kinds of turnings away from rubbing on the back of the motor.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.