Honored Advisor
krumy205747
Accepted Solution

Grizzly copy lathe

Anybody know anything about this lathe. There's one for sale locally for cheap but it "needs work". It might be worth a look if the copy attachment works very well.

grizzly copy lathe

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Re: Grizzly copy lathe

Personally, I wouldn't have one even it were brand new and free.  If it "needs work", then that is all the more reason that I would run the other way.  How much is the seller offering to pay someone to haul it off to the recycle  yard?

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Bill Boehme wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't have one even it were brand new and free.  If it "needs work", then that is all the more reason that I would run the other way.  How much is the seller offering to pay someone to haul it off to the recycle  yard?

Bill, don't mince words, tell me what you really thinK! :smileyhappy: The guy wants 70 bucks for it but it's a good 45 mile away. It mostly caught my eye because of the copier and I wasn't really in the market for another lathe anyway so it's definitely a pass

Thanks

Steve K

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

For 70 bucks it's probably not terrible.   I have not been fond of many Grizzly machines but that price is hard to beat for any lathe.   The copy attachment isn't worth much but not bad to play with.   If the machine runs, has a good tailstock, banjo and tool rest then it's probably usable.   It may not be a great lathe but then I learned using an electric drill mounted to my workbench. It's got to be better than that.    I'm not a fan of disc sanders mounted to the outboaard side but they do make a good sharpening system when your first starting off.

It probably isn't very good for bowl turning.  I'll bet the slow speed is too fast and the lathe is too light.  You can have a lot of fun turning the kind of things I turn, ornaments, hand mirrors, wine stoppers etc.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

krumy205747 wrote:

Bill Boehme wrote:

Bill, don't mince words, tell me what you really thinK! :smileyhappy: The guy wants 70 bucks for it but it's a good 45 mile away. It mostly caught my eye because of the copier and I wasn't really in the market for another lathe anyway so it's definitely a pass

Thanks

Steve K

You're right, Steve.  I should just come out and say what I am thinking.  :smileyvery-happy:

The "needs work" is the part that would concern me the most.  Could be something serious like needs a new motor or pulleys or spindle or something else that can't be found.  You can be fairly certain that it is not minor.  My impression from the picture is that the "duplicator" part is terribly flimsy.  While you might be able to roughly duplicate something, I think that it would be much more work that just making the parts purely by hand.  Even with a quality duplicator, the part still needs finish turning by hand.  The best known duplicator for use by hobby and small businesses is the Vega duplicator.  Here is a link to a site that sells them:  Ace Tools

A 36" Vega duplicator goes for around $700 after shipping and taxes.  The link above also has a brief video showing the duplicator.  I found a couple YouTube videos of people using a Vega.  Many years ago one of my fellow club members offered to sell me his Vega for $600, but I was not interested in making a lot of duplicate spindles.  Spindles that you make on a duplicator need to have some "heft" or else they will flex.  This means things like table legs and balusters.  You would not have much luck making long thin spindles for a bunch of Windsor chair backs.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Bill is right on the duplicator.  It might do the job but it's probably iffy.  I have the Vega duplicator and it's excellent. 

When you get to look at the lathe or talk to the owner get back with us on what need work so we can better council you on what your getting into.  Nothing is worse than a lathe that won't work correctly.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Vega here also...

only way to go short of a CNC...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
handy-dan

I had one.  It was horrible.  I was going to junk it and my brother took it.  It works for him because he doesn't use it much.  Repair spindle occasionally.  The copy part is not an attachment, it is built into the lathe and didn't work well either.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

[ Edited ]

Thank you gentlemen for all of the replies.

I did talk with the guy, he says it needs a bearing in the tailstock. I mentioned pictures I'd seen showed a crank on the copier and he said that and a couple other parts are missing as well. I would imagine if they are even available the parts alone would add a few hundred bucks to the final expense. I have  decided not to pursue it.

craigslist lathe

Steve K

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.