Veteran Contributor
Freznel
Accepted Solution

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" lathe

Hi all!

I have the Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" lathe and I attempted to turn my first ever bottle stopper today and I noticed that the work piece was catching on the chisel more than it should for that type of turn.  I pulled the part I was making off the lathe and checked my spindle  to see if it was on center and it wasn't.  I then to a look at the bearing assembly and notice that they were slightly out of alignment which I can take an educated guess and say is the cause of the problem.  I gave grizzly a call and they said that if I had a press I could re-seat the bearings to the head stock.  Well here is my problem, I don't have a press that can do that.  Does anyone else have any ideas on how to re-align the spindle so that I can turn properly?

Thank you all for the help!

Mike

References:

Users Manual with Parts Explosion  (see page 28)

Mike
Advisor
Rrandy

Re: Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" lathe

You could get a piece of all thread long enough to stick out both ends a few inches, say 1/2 inch and a couple nuts to fit and either a piece of plate steel or 3 or 4 fender washers for each end. Put the all thread through the bearings and then on each end put the 3 or 4 washers and the nut Snug both down and center them by eyeball in the bearings and then tighten the nuts til the bearings are seated.

Or carry the lathe to an automotive machine shop or a plain job machine shop. Either should have a press of some sort capable of doing what you need.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Contributor
Herg1

Mike - I have no idea what this part looks like so my response may most likely be way off base.   IF the piece is easily remoavable you could take it to most any machine shop or garage (auto repair) as they normallly have a press for bearings and bushings.  

One equestion they will probably ask you is the maximum pressure they can apply.    I think I would ask Grizzly to send a replacement bearing as this one was pressed in before and you don't know what pressure they used so the present bearing may last forever or until you use it which ever comes first (standard warranty).

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

The Grizzly looks an awful lot like a copy of the Jet mini.  If it is you simply may have a loose handwheel.  Loosen the set screws on the handwheel.  Then tighten it up until the spindle feels a little rough to turn.  Back the handwheel off a smidgen and lock down the set screw.   The handwheel is left hand threaded by the way.     Hope that works.  If not the suggestion to use an all-thead rod with some nuts and washers of the right size may be the answer.  

Honored Advisor
handy-dan

If in deed the bearings are pressed in and they walked out I would think there is a problem there. Too loose in housing? If this is true I would either have it replaced or take it to some one with a press and have it disassembled and reassembled using some type of thread locker on the outside of the bearings to help prevent this from happening again. There are different types of thread locker such as gear lock and others.

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Veteran Contributor
Freznel

It was the hand wheel that was causing the vibration.  I pulled it off, cleaned the threads with mineral spirits, threaded it back on, and check for runout and all was well.  Not to sure if the wheel was mis threaded or something else, but the problem is fixed.

Thank you all for replying so quickly!

Mike

PS: now it is time to turn some bottle stoppers and pens!

Mike

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.