Frequent Contributor
Larry_Lambert

Finish for pepper mills?

I am planning on turning a few pepper mills for Christmas presents, and I don't know what the best finish is.   The mills will be made of figured maple.

I am considering buying some Clapham's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish, but I really don't know whether this is the best choice.  I have never used it.

I am thinking that I will turn the mills, and sand to somewhere around 1000 grit. Then use some kind of finish, then buff with a buffing wheel mounted to a bench grinder.

Is this a good plan, and if so, how many coats of the finish, and what kind of drying time between coats, and before buffing?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Re: Finish for pepper mills?

[ Edited ]

I would suggest lacquer.  First rub in a coat of lacquer sanding sealer to seal the end grain pores.  Then shoot several coats of high gloss lacquer.  Finally, polish with Micromesh starting with 1500 grit and going up to 12000 grit.

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

[ Edited ]

Larry, I don't normally use wax of any type on items that are going to be handled often. Wax will wear away and become necessary to recoat.  I like the laquer as already mentioned.  If you don't have the sanding capability suggested, I use a crumpled up brown paper bag.  That becomes a very good finish sanding/buffing and not pricey.     Lucky are those who receive these gifts and they  will be quite pleased.

LEO
Forums Host
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Sanding up to 1000 grit may be too fine to ensure a proper bond between the finished wood and the lacquer.  I would recommend you stop at 400 to 600.

Spray on the lacquer, (see my post about "Rattle cans"), then after drying for a couple days, and while still on the lathe, rub out the surface with 0000 steel wool and TreWax and polish with a soft cotton cloth.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Frequent Contributor
Larry_Lambert

So the consensus seems to be lacquer. While I am pretty good with liquor, I am not so great with lacquer. My spraying technique could use a little practice. I do have a compressor, and a Home Depot-type spray gun, but I have never really used it.

I would hate to screw up my beautiful maple with a bad finish, but maybe I will try with the first mill at least.

I did read the rattle can thread, so maybe I will try it. Or I will completely ignore the advise of people that know better than I, and still go with a rub-on finish. I will know more after coffee.

Thanks for the help!

Larry

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Another option is what I used for finishing my Chess pieces.

A very soft, flat Sable brush and some gloss poly.  Start brushing at the top while hand spinning (put something in the bottom hole to turn the piece) and gradually work your way down.

Stand the finished piece upright.  The poly will flow out very nicely, and you're done.  If you want two coats, buff up the first coat with 0000 steel wool and wipe very clean, and repeat.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Veteran Contributor
Old NY Guy

Wipe on poly works well.

Bob
No trees were harmed in this transmission, However, a qreat many electrons were inconvenienced!
Contributor
seabee2000

I do agree with the wipe on poly. I use about 5 coats on mine. Use oooo steelwool between each coat. Good luck and Merry Christmas .

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

I'm a wipe on poly fan for those kinds of things.  It's tougher than lacquer and will take the abuse.  The big advantage of lacquer however is it's easy repairability.   

I'm not sure sanding too smooth is a problem.  I test some finishes by applying them to glass to see how they flow out.  They stick to the glass really well which I'm sure is smoother than sanded wood.

Frequent Contributor
Still Dusty Larry

I've used wipeonpoly on over 100 peppermills and so far no complaints about the finish. Typically three or four coats with steelwool between.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.