Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Empty Bowls

[ Edited ]

Here are four bowls that I completed this week and donated to local Tarrant Area Food Bank for upcoming Empty Bowls Project.

California Laurel burl with TransTint dyed and lacquer finish.  This is a small five inch diameter bowl turned super thin.  The bowl weighs less than one ounce.

_MG_0510small.jpg

Just the opposite of the previous bowl, a very hefty 3/4 inch thick walled bowl turned from freshly cut green mesquite and finished with satin lacquer and wax.

_MG_0513small.jpg

Another piece of freshly cut green mesquite was used to turn this winged natural edged bowl which measures approximately 15 inches from tip to tipIt is finished with gloss lacquer and softened to a satin sheen with Micromesh.

_MG_0514small.jpg

This eight inch diameter bowl was turned from very dry FOG wood (Found On Ground) and finished with walnut oil and wax.

_MG_0516small.jpg

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Re: Empty Bowls

Very nice Bill.  I've kind of lost touch with the empty bowls project around here.   I did a 3 day demo for them about 3 years ago but don't know where they went.  I'll have to see if I can find out.

Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

OH MY! I think I'll delete my pictures now!

Just kidding but your turnings sure give me incentive to keep learning and practicing! Very nice

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Senior Contributor
charliew

Very nice. Good job.

Advisor
bzy3

Excellent work on those Bill right down to the finish and the photography

Honored Advisor
handy-dan

Nice grup of bowls.  I really like the live edge bowl and the shape of it.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Awesome work, especially the first one.

Can I get some California  Laurel Burl?

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Thanks for the comments everybody.

I bought the piece of California laurel (AKA, Myrtle wood) at Rockler's  few years ago and really hated that I paid so much for it.  It really was not a very good piece of wood and I spent a lot of time trying to make something decent out of it.  The bowl was originally much thicker, but as I experimented with various surface treatments, it kept getting thinner as I turned away ugly finishes.  I have used dye on maple with great success so I decided to give it a try on this darker piece.  Fortunately, the dye saved the piece from being tossed into the trash can.  Did anybody notice the brass filings patch in a missing knot hole.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.