Frequent Contributor
yrrapoz

Celtic knots

[ Edited ]

I really like William Youngs Celtic knot pens. I don't do pens so I thought I would try a celtic knot vase.

7 inches high 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Walnut and Sycamore.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Bevan Parry

celticknotvase1.jpg

Knots & Grains
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Celtic knots

I think it looks great.

How did you make that Celtic tingy?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Frequent Contributor
yrrapoz

To make the knot you just take a square chunk of wood and tilt the table saw blade and cut a kerf, glue in a different colored wood the same thickness as the kerf turn the wood 90 degrees and do it again until you have 4 of them. then turn it and the knot appears. If you have kept the block in the same relative position it comes out nice, if not it will be crooked.

Bevan  Parry

Knots & Grains
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Looks really great. I don't get how you guys inlay on a turned piece be it a pen or a vase. Would appreciate some insight on this. VERY nice job.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
johnclucas

You did a great job.

Veteran Contributor
ric47

That looks good. The first time I have seen larger knots.

Contributor
seabee2000

You have done a very good job. I like it . Thanks for the idea  also. Just may try that myself. Sure beats just looking at a vace.

Frequent Contributor
yrrapoz

It isn't inlay. 4 thin solid pieces are inserted through the square block before it is turned. I think William Young has a tutorial on it on his personal site.

Thanks for the kind words

Bevan Parry

Knots & Grains
Senior Contributor
william young

yrrapoz wrote:

It isn't inlay. 4 thin solid pieces are inserted through the square block before it is turned. I think William Young has a tutorial on it on his personal site.

Thanks for the kind words

Bevan Parry

Your Celtic knot looks just excellent .  Great work on that . I have seen lots on pens and a few on bottle stoppers  . This is the first I have seen on a vase and it would also look wonderfull on a rolling pin with your method.

I found it quite unique  the way you used your saw blade  on a bevel for that .

Did you by any chance make a tutorial on doing it that way . ?  With the Celtic knot pens the  saw blade is used straight up  90 degrees to the table .

Yes I do have a tutorial on the easy way that I make Celtic knot pens but there is a certain flamer here that would come in and jump all over me if I posted  a link to it. I didn't want to spoil your nice topic/thread here  by posting it  .  

My email address is at the bottom of my message for anyone interested  in where to see it.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

OK... I understand how you did this. But, below and above is the same wood as that of lamp.

Were the glue up pieces constructed the same way, where lighter wood was in the middle?

Thanks for explaining.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.