Senior Contributor
ductape

Bradford pear any good?

I had a bradford pear tree blown down by wind today and was wondering if it was a good wood for turning or anything else? Most is 2 to 4 inch limbs with some crotches in the 6 to 8 inch range. 

My forgetter's getting better, But my rememberer is broke. ______________________
Mike in Mississippi
Advisor
Rrandy

Re: Bradford pear any good?

I would cut some up and dry it and give it a go. I seem to remember hearing that "fruit" wood is unstable? and subject to splitting, cracking, or checking but that never stopped me from trying. If it doesn't work out you lose nothing really but time and a little effort...it could turn out quite unique. Now I'll shut up and let someone that actually knows about these things chime in.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Turn it green.  It's good wood and finishes very nicely.  I haven't tried to dry any yet, other than drying it after turning thin. 

Advisor
JohnModi

There was a thread on here showing a nice piece turned from a Bradford Pear Root Ball I believe.

Anyway here the link.

http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/Wood-Turning/enother-Neil-inspired-box/td-p/16808

John

Veteran Contributor
smbwood58

John thanks for digging up that piece. Yes it was made from bradford pear, and it turned real nice from what i can remember.:smileywink: If you have a chance to get the root by all means do it .

Senior Contributor
ductape

Thanks everyone. I have been cutting yesterday afternoon and this afternoon till dark. I think it is a keeper.

Thanks john, and smbwood58, now I got to dig up the root.:smileysad:

It was a cool 95º today and my shade was laying on the ground.:smileyvery-happy:

My forgetter's getting better, But my rememberer is broke. ______________________
Mike in Mississippi
Advisor
JohnModi

Sorry for causing the extra work, but I remembered how beautiful that piece was.

I have been watching a few Bradford pears around here just waiting for the wind to put them down so I can go get some of it.

Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

I was on my way to work, and one had blown across the street. I stopped and helped them cut it up, and they gave me as much as I wanted. Turns good and finishes beautifully.

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.