Contributor
seabee2000

Bowl drawing program

Hello all, A few years ago they had a program that you could draw out bowl to see what you wanted to make. I have some how lost mine and can not get it back nor remember the name or where I got it. Hoping some one has any idea where i can get it again. Thanks of your help.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Re: Bowl drawing program

You could use just about any CAD program including some free ones like Google SketchUp 8.  A very useful thing is to see if the program has the capability to create Bezier curves -- if so, it will greatly facilitate creating a smooth continuous monotonic curve (i.e., no inflections in the curvature).  I suppose that practicing with creating some basic bowl shapes in a drawing program could be a confidence builder for a new turner, but after a while (probably just a few bowls), you will no longer feel the need to make a sketch beforehand.

A program that some segmented turners use is Woodturner Studio.  It sells for around $69 if I remember correctly.  It is very intuitive and one of the neat things about it is that it generates 3-D solid models that can be rotated and flipped.  Segmented turners find it useful because it also creates cut lists for each layer.

If you are a proficient DeltaCAD user, it is easy to create basic 2-D outline shapes.

Here is the way that I turn many of my bowls and you may find this information helpful.  I generally let the shape of a bowl evolve a bit as I am turning it if I see something in the wood that I would like to feature.  But really, for a basic bowl, there is not much to figure out.  Start with a foot diameter that is roughly 25 - 35% of the total diameter.  The slope of the side will be almost zero at the foot and increase somewhat parabolically until the slope at the rim is roughly 45 - 60°.  I generally do not want to get steeper than that because it make it increasingly difficult to arrive at a pleasing curve especially for the interior if the slope at the rim approaches 90°.  I try to do something distinctive on the rim such as having crisp edges with a slightly crowned rim.  Check out some examples of what I like to do in this Empty Bowls thread.  The rim of bowls #2 and #4 are examples of what I described above.  All of them have a slope at the rim that fall within the 45 - 60° range except the natural edge bowl which is slightly more shallow.  I generally have a foot on the bowl that has a step of about 1/16 inch or slightly larger.  You will notice that my bowl #1 is slightly different in that the slope is greatest at the foot (roughly 80°) and then fans out to a slope at the rim of about 60°.  Bowl #1 is extremely thin at about 3/32" near the base and less than 1/32" near the rim.  One of my goals is to have the interior of a bowl have a continuous parabola-like curve with no abrupt transitions in slope.

One thing that you will soon find is that your fingers tell you much more than your eyes do about the curvature of a bowl.  You can feel things that are not always obvious to your eyes,

Contributor
seabee2000

Thanks Bill,  I had told  a person that I was teaching turning to about the program and he wanted it. . I use Segemented Project Planner myself. He did not care to buy a program as of yet. You are so right the fingers will tell you much. Some day when I get down to TX. I would like to meet  you and have a cup of coffee. You have been so much help to many for years. You and John do a great job of helping new and yes us older turners also.

Frequent Contributor
Still Dusty Larry

There is also an excelent program called "Woodturner Pro" and it's low cost and has a second 3D version.

Veteran Advisor
bzy3

Years ago I downloaded the free trial of Wood Turner Pro but didn't get enough time to try it out on the 30 day trial. Before I knew it my time was up and I never did buy it. I tried to get a second free trial much  later  but was rejected which is quite understandable.

Fortunately  with a different service provider now as a new identity  I was able to download it again today  for another 30 day  free trial .

At the same time today   I downloaded the 30 day free trial of Segmented Project Planner  so I have both on my computer now.

The Wood Turner Pro is quite expensive and  probably more advanced than what I will ever need .

The Segment Project Planner is very reasonably priced at 40 bucks for the CD version and a little less as a direct download to computer . If I decide to purchase it I will probably go for the CD just to have it as a backup in case of computer problems at any time.

I have spent a few hours with it and it will take a lot more hours to be able to use it to my satisfaction but hopefully within 30 days I will know my way around it better.

Interested in hearing pros and cons  of both programs from ones that actually have them and use them.

Contributor
seabee2000

Hi BXY3  I can not talk about any other segment program as I only have the one. But  did find the bowl design program and I will also use it for just drawing out what I think I want a bowl to look like after i find the wood I want to use. This is not a segment program but just to draw out a bowl so you can see what it may look like. Go the the web site .

www.studioofbillOom and you can download his programs if you care to. Good luck on your turnings.  Roger

Veteran Advisor
bzy3

Thanks Roger .

I tried the link you provided and it might have a typo in it because it comes up page cannot be displayed. I would be interested in viewing that program.

There has been an ongoing topic similar  to this in my own site  where members are showing Indian blanket and other advanced  segmentation projects  .

To give you  an idea of what  I am looking for in a program I will repeat below what I posted there in order to save me typing it all out here again.

Thanks guys for the two different views on it . Looking forward to more as well.
As for Wood Turner Pro being for advanced turners , I had already gathered that . I will never attempt anything like the Indian Blanket design because no matter how much work and time I put into any segmented item it will never be worth any more than $50.00 per finished piece in my particular area . Might get a "little" more if it was taken to numerous craft sales over many years. Been there. . . done that . . Also , there are no galleries within many hundreds of miles and they want huge commission profits. But I do enjoy going at making a few segmented vessels whenever temperature is favorable to work in my shop and the pieces I make are all give aways so not much sense in getting too carried away with designs except for my own satisfaction. My main requirements for software such as this will be for designing shape and all the measurements for the pieces of the segments in the various rings.
When I was downloading Segmented Project Planner it threw up a notification that the .exe file was dangerous and could harm my computer. Anyone that runs Windows 7 knows how tight security is with that operating system and I suppose that is a good thing. So I called the number in the site and I was probably talking to Bill Kandler. He was a gentleman to talk to and walked me through the trial installation and said if I need any help with the program to just call him anytime. He said if I decide to buy the hard copy after the 30 day trial it would go to my US post box within 3 to 4 days.
Now back to playing around with it to see if I can figure it all out . . . . . . ;)

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting 

Senior Contributor
NCPaladin

I think this is the correct link.

http://www.billooms.com/

Then go to software.   

I used the "Bowl Shape software".  Never could get my turning to match my picture.  :smileyhappy:

It has been a year or so but Rogers post reminded me of it.

Mike

Veteran Advisor
bzy3

Thanks Mike.

I downloaded it.

That is an interesting site .

The bowl software is tricky as well as fun to manipulate a bowl  into a desirable shape. :smileywink:

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

If you're still looking I just stumbled onto this page while searching for something else. I haven't tried it but it looks interesting appears to be free.

Microlathe

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.