Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Best 4 jaw chuck?

My metal lathe has a 1" - 10 TPI spindle on it.  It has a nice 4 jaw chuck.  I need an adaptor to use it on my new VS Rikon lathe, but can't find one.  See the drawing I made below.

If I can't find an adaptor, what 4" to 6" independent 4 jaw chuck do you recommend that has a 1" - 8 TPI that will fit the Rikon?

Larry

CHUCK ADAPTOR.JPG

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Advisor
JohnModi

Re: Best 4 jaw chuck?

Probably the two best chucks are the Vicmar and Oneway.

There are several that are nice chucks but those would be rated at the top.

Veteran Advisor
Bill Boehme

Larry.Jenkins wrote:

If I can't find an adaptor, what 4" to 6" independent 4 jaw chuck do you recommend that has a 1" - 8 TPI that will fit the Rikon?

Larry

My answer is I would not recommend any four independent jaw chuck for woodturning.  If your metal lathe chuck looks like the narrow jaw type that I am familiar with, they are really not very suitable for woodturning because they do not enclose the tenon the way that the jaws on a woodturnng scroll chuck does.  Also a self centering scroll chuck is much more desirable than an independent jaw chuck.  There are some older woodturning scroll chucks that require the use of two tommy bars to tighten the jaws -- they are acceptable, but much more cumbersome to use compared to the newer designs that use a key for single-handed operation -- it may not sound like a big deal except that in actual practice you need to have threee hands or be a contortionist to hold a really heavy piece of wood and operate the tommy bars simultaneously.

The best chucks are Oneway and Vicmarc with Nova not too far behind.  When it comes to woodturning chucks, bigger usually is not better -- a bigger chuck is just a bigger obstruction to turning the outside of a bowl.  For your size lathe, a 3½ inch chuck such s the Oneway Talon is the ideal size.  Even though I have one of the big boy lathes (Robust American Beauty), I have three of the Oneway Talons and one of the big heavy Oneway Stronghold chucks -- so far, I have not used the Stronghold escept for briefly using it when all of the Talons were all tied up with other projects.  There are some cheap Chinese knockoffs for about half the price of the Oneways and Vicmarcs, but you only get what you pay for and often less when it comes to cheap stuff.

Veteran Contributor
Andy K.

Depending on your budget I have used the PSI Barracuda chucks and was impressed for the cost. They usually come with several sets of jaws. Just a heads up, they are usually cheaper at Amazon than at PSI (Penn State Industries).

Senior Contributor
NCPaladin

I agree with Bill about the independent jaws.  I would think it would be a real pain to get anything centered.    I have four Novas and they all work well.  The G3 is a nice mid size chuck.  If you want 4” jaws I would go up to the SN2 and get the 10mm Powergrips.

The Nova service center has the G3 for $75 and SN2 for $100 reconditioned.

Just from your spindle size I assume your lathe has a 12” throw.  The G3 would handle anything you can turn on it.

Both use inserts so if you ever change lathes in the future you just need the different insert.

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

I sent you a PM.

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Ditto What Bill said.  Metal lathe chucks don't grip the wood well enough.  they have a very small surface area and crush the wood at that point which makes it come out of the chuck too easily.   I'm a Vicmarc Fan but Oneway also has a huge number of fans. 

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

My metal lathe chuck jaws are about 3/4" long.  I have turned a whole lot of wood items on it, the latest being the handle I made for my in-process carbide insert tool.

So I would have to disagree that my metal lathe chuck does not hold good enough.  That's why I'm looking for an adaptor (as shown in the drawing above) so I can use it on my Rikon.

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Senior Contributor
Joe G.

Vicmarc vm100 would be a good selection.

I think you have been lucky so far using your metal lathe chuck. I have launched a few satelites

myself using an inexpensive wood chuck which is why I moved up to the quality of Vicmarc.

The other thing you might consider is the varius jaws that can be used on a 4 jaw wood chuck for different wood turnings. I hate changing jaws so I bought a number of chucks, each with a dedicated set of jaws.

I prefer to spend time turning rather than screwing..

After reading your second post, it appears that your mind is made up to to stay with your metal lathe chuck.

I suggest that you might want to look your wood over real good for cracks and soft spots before turning.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Joe G
Honored Advisor
johnclucas

Larry   It will hold wood that has a long tenon quite well.   If you try to hold short tenons like many people use on bowls you will find that it is not as good as the 4 jaw self centering chucks that are designed to hold wood.  Especially spalted woods that tend to be a little soft.     You also can't expand the jaws into narrow openings like many turners do for bowls a platters.    

I have seen far too many turners use the metal jaw chucks and throw wood all over the shop so I stand by my statement.   I have a metal lathe and have used the metall turning chucks for wood and have used the 4 jaw independant chucks for special projects that require off center work.  They simply do not hold as well as a good wood lathe chuck.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.