Advisor
Rrandy

Wrenches as Sizing Jigs

Not my idea but thought I'd pass it along. When turning spindles or tennons and other quick sizing is needed but more of a "go..no go" gauge one can use an open end wrench. Most folks have a set of metric and sae sized wrenches so...you need a 5/8", or 12 mm, tennon. Get the size wrench you are shooting for and once it slips over the workpiece you are real close to size. Most wrenches range from .020" to .040" over the indicated size so once it slips on the piece you can then start using a caliper or micrometer to get spot on. Some work that's less critical and the wrench puts you at finished size.

You don't have to be as careful with them as a vernier and if dropped they generally survive quite nicely and sawdust won't mess up their calibration.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Re: Wrenches as Sizing Jigs

Saw an idea that takes an open end wrench and if the lower jaw is ground back to a sharp lip will cut the tenon to the wrench size when hooked onto the stock:

tenon.jpg

I tried this some years ago on an old wrench I picked up and it worked pretty good if you rough turn it oversize first to a fraction of desired size then finish with this.

Politicians like to panic. It's their substitute for achievement. - Sir Humphrey Appleby

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

But, NEVER use it as a gauge when the piece is turning!

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Senior Advisor
smallpatch1

Hey Randy would not a set of calipers be a little more useful than a set of wrenches. I noticed Harbor Freight has a caliper right now as we speak for a whopping 1.95.?????  Maybe not for CNC work but at least one tool will measure lots of sizes.

Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

Larry.Jenkins wrote:

But, NEVER use it as a gauge when the piece is turning!

Larry

Not sure why? I have done that more than a few times and from many videos I've watched I'm not alone.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

If the diameter you are checking with a wrench is still a tad oversize, there's a good chance that the wrench might grab and be pulled right out of your hand, possible causing injury or damage.

Just not worth it.

Adjustable calipers are much better because of the very small point contact with wood.  Even then, I like to stop the spindle.

Too old to get "damaged" any more..  :smileysurprised:

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Advisor
Rrandy

smallpatch1 wrote:

Hey Randy would not a set of calipers be a little more useful than a set of wrenches. I noticed Harbor Freight has a caliper right now as we speak for a whopping 1.95.?????  Maybe not for CNC work but at least one tool will measure lots of sizes.

I have both and use both. Some folks don't see .625 as 5/8ths that easy and using an open end wrench just opens up another accurate means that is quick and easy...if you have the wrenches. A wrench is easier to grab for me than the caliper. Not suggesting one over the other, just an alternative. It really shines when a metric size is called for...my brain don't have to convert, just grab the wrench.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
habitatsupplie1

I agree that the sharp ends of a caliper will definitely cause it to catch and bounce back on you. However, I picked up a cheap caliper from Big Lots or somewhere, and the ends are rounded. That works great for me: No problems with catches, etc.

Old Woodie

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.