Contributor
jwoodwright

Re: Vacuum system

Be nice when pictures are restored to posts.  You won't believe how effective my set-up is...

Senior Reader
michmags75

Yes you can make a separator with a 5 gallon bucket and a shop-vac.  I went big and used a Rubbermaid plastic trash can with the Rockler 4" elbows.  Works great, trash can has wheels, shop-vac bag and filter don't fill up with debris.

Frequent Reader
lmillercarver

Yes.  It's possible.  Mine was made from two 5 gallon buckets and a lid purchased from Home Depot.  I used the link earlier in this thread about the  Phil Thien separator on Instructables.com.  

I purchased the vaccum tools attachment to get the fittings that matched my shop vac.  I used hot glue to get the fittings to fit.  

My own Instructables on doing this sucked and they didn't post them.  

If you contact me via this site, I will send the document and pictures so you can see what I did.

It works very well.  I use it for all my shop vac needs except when vacuuming water or wet.

Good luck!

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

lmillercarver wrote:

Yes.  It's possible.  Mine was made from two 5 gallon buckets and a lid purchased from Home Depot.  I used the link earlier in this thread about the  Phil Thien separator on Instructables.com.  

I purchased the vaccum tools attachment to get the fittings that matched my shop vac.  I used hot glue to get the fittings to fit.  

My own Instructables on doing this sucked and they didn't post them.  

If you contact me via this site, I will send the document and pictures so you can see what I did.

It works very well.  I use it for all my shop vac needs except when vacuuming water or wet.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forums of Woodmagazine.com, Carl . You can publish your tutorial right here at  the WOODTube channel to share with all.

WOOD Online has a very respectable library of free videos for your education and enjoyment in the pursuit of learning more about the craft of woodworking.

There are two channels you can look at for specific subjects:

The first is WOODCuts.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/
This is the site to go for “house” videos that WOOD magazine has produced for its site visitors. Although these may have commercials in them, and thus have a bit of a loading wait, they are still solid blocks of good to know information professionally shot and edited, with clear and concise demonstrations.

The second resource for videos is WOODTube.
http://woodtube.ning.com/
These are user submitted videos usually shot by woodworkers who wish to visually share tips, tricks, and techniques they feel are worth passing on. This site has a search engine so you can get more specific in your need to know area.

And finally, don't forget you can use the site search function to bring up past articles of interest too!

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.