Esteemed Advisor
hankm

The Old Woman's Tooth...

...is also known as a router plane, and I needed one to clean out the bottoms of some angled dados I cut about 1/4" deep. Like any tool, I needed it now- not next week. I searched the 'net for shopmade varieties and found the closest thing to do what I wanted was to sharpen an old Allen wrench in the form of an "L" to create the iron and then make the body to hold it. Too much time and effort for a one- off I thought, but then I had a eureka! moment and came up with this design:

Plane Grove Before.jpg

The dado set I used, being cheap like me, left a rather prominent chipper swarf that filing or sandpaper could certainly deal with, but would be tediously slow. I just wanted to rip and go since the bottom would be hidden by a slat edge anyway. The "iron" is a #8 steel flat head slotted wood screw just kissed on the disk sander to yield a cutting edge. Depth adjustment is self- evident and as simple as it gets, just run in or out as needed.

Here is an after image:

Plane Grove After.jpg

And while maybe not pretty, is totally serviceable for my needs.

I reckon it can also be used to clean up drawer panel grooves and such that aren't a visual issue; by the way I did about 200 slots with his thing and it was still sharp when I finished.

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: The Old Woman's Tooth...

Ingenious...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

That little trick might have got'sha the tool of the month Hank. Good'in !!!! 

But here, well,,,you have just come up with a new kind'a "Swarf Cleaner Outer" shared among us admiring friends. Look at it this way, some woodworker in the future is going to run into the same situation. Here in the world of the web, your idea will live into perpetuity. Where this guy's somewhere in the next century  going to say, "I'd like to thank that guy, I wonder who that woodworker was, the one with the white,,,,,,Naaaaa, it'll never happen. But then,,,, he will get the tool of the month.:smileywink:

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Awesome Hank. Ingenuity solves the problem.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

That's putting the ol gray matter to work, Hank. :smileyvery-happy:

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Swell idea . I wonder if one might find that in the power tool area? LOL

LEO
Forums Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.