Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Solar Cooking Bearings

I'm flushing out about 50 years of crud that has settled into carriage bearings from my MBF saw. I figured heating some mineral spirits would be a nice bath for them and was ready to do a double boiler thing on the stove the first time my wife was out of the house, when I fell upon a page on solar cookers. The simplest one has a clear plastic bag over a jar with the contents heating nicely after a couple of hours in the sun. A reflector would up the efficiency, but this simplistic approach is like crock potting it- long, low, and slow. The clear plastic bag acts as an air insulator keeping the wind from stripping away the heat gathered yet is u.v. transparent enough to allow this trick to work. It's been about 2 hours now and a crude guesstimate of temperature is I can hold it in my hand for over 15 seconds, so my old Navy hot bearing measuring technique tells me it's nearing 150 degrees, just exactly where I want it.

cook.jpg

The dark surface of the plastic barrel is simply serendipity, but aids in the heating process too.

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Esteemed Advisor
john880

Re: Solar Cooking Bearings

Yours'ah go'n green, Hank, you had the idea, the materal needed & the time to put it all together. It is a way of think'n all of us had better put to use.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Re: Solar Cooking Bearings

I let them percolate for about a week John, then did the next step:

http://woodtube.ning.com/video/bearing-rehab

They run like new again.

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.