Visitor
perfessor

Reuse baby food jars

I learned this from my dad over 5 decades ago.

He used Gerber baby food jars (glass) to hold fasteners & hooks, etc. But the neat thing about it was where he put them: We all have shelves near our workbenches to hold stuff - on shelves near face height he hung the jars from the underside of the shelf by drilling a center hole in each lid and securely fastening that lid to the underside of the shelf with a wood screw.  Thus they were hanging jars permanently secured.

He merely had to unscrew or re screw the jar to its lid.

This method takes up no new space. Using clear glass, object recognition is instantaneous. A quick look will tell you if you have what you need or not.

THE HURRIER I GO THE BEHINDER I GET
Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Reuse baby food jars

what to do about the broken glass that will happen... 'specially that errant piece that awaits in ambush to attack you or your project...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Contributor
thehandyandy

It is because of broken glass that I am in the process of converting from the glass baby food jars I have used for the past 30 years to plastic peanut butter and mayonaise jars (more room too!).

Honored Advisor
stick48668

I have become very partial to the square plastic food containers... store well... holds lots of "stuff"....

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Apprentice Member
SpiderMac

I also use baby food jars.  I made a cabinet for mine with a lip so they won't fall out.  I also use them when I need to mix paint or stains for small projects.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

When in the days of having a baby around. A friend of mine constructed a carousel bases out of wood. Now these multi -3/4" round base and the connecting wood sides were not where all of the jars bottoms rotating, were parallel with the ground. But stacked side by side as the jars rolled away & to the viewer. He had a very good visual labeling system, and removed needed jar only when that needed content in that carousel was on the bottom. You can imagine how many storage jars could be placed in such a small amount of space high up there above one side of his longest work bench.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I used to use baby food jars years ago but have since developed a fondness for the plastic storage jars that come with the free peanut butter inside.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Veteran Contributor
skeet3t1

[ Edited ]

Glass doesn't do too good on concrete floors.  All my stuff is plastic- medicine bottles, cottage cheese, butter, etc.  I also use the plastic containers we get deli meats in- they clean up good, hold lots of stuff and stack.  I use them in the shop, flytying, and rod building.

Senior Contributor
Frank Rothmann

I, too have used the baby food jars, when we had our children.

Now we have Grandchildren and I have asked my daughter-in-law to save the small plastic Gerber

food containers. They don't hold a LOT of stuff, but for small screws & things they are great.

They come in two sizes too. And stack well.

Frank in Anderson, SC

Why is there enough time to do it over, but not enough time to do it right the first time?
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

I never was able to save any baby food jars since my kids refused to eat that stuff.  Like others, i keep the empty peanut butter jars and save plastic yogurt and cottage cheese containers for mixing up small batched of stuff where i'm going to pitch the container and not worry about trying to save it.  The kids did like cotton candy that came in small plastic buckets and they are nice for several pouncs of screws, bolts, etc.  Also have some small plastic medicine bottles.  i'm a packrat.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.