Apprentice Member
ElwinHarrison

Keeping screws and nails from rusting

I have had problems in the past keeping screws and nails from rusting when stored in my garage. However, I saved some of those desiccant packs that you get with some products and placed them in the storage containers that I was using.

They worked great, no more rust.

If you do not get many of them you can always go online and order them. One place that I have used is:

Silica Gel Packets

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/

They offer a wide array of silica gel desiccant packages that could be used in many different ways in the work shop.

You can order 50 one gram packets for $13.00 with free shipping for 3 to 5 day US Postal Service. Or if you need them right away, you can pay for faster shipping.

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: Keeping screws and nails from rusting

good tip...thanks....i have a lot of mine in plastic peanut butter jars so they don't see much moisture 

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

when they stop working they can be dried in an oven. watch them closely.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Advisor
Rrandy

My grandpaw was fond of tossing a little piece of camphor in his tool drawers, nut..bolts..screw collections to keep rust down. It worked but the silica gel packets is a maybe better idea than camphor.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Reader
dturner3621218

Be careful with camphor (moth balls) as the fumes are heavier than air( the fumes displace the moisture laden air) and highly toxic to animals. A friend has a small dog that was diagnosed with severe permanent liver and brain damage from moth ball exposure and was unable to eat. Required over 2 weeks at the vets on an IV and long term is not expected to live long.

Veteran Contributor
skeet3t1

Those dessicant packs come in pill bottles.  Ask you pharmacist to keep them for you.  We used to get them out of boxes of ceiling fans and light fixtures from China (where else?).

Advisor
Rrandy

dturner3621218 wrote:

Be careful with camphor (moth balls) as the fumes are heavier than air( the fumes displace the moisture laden air) and highly toxic to animals. A friend has a small dog that was diagnosed with severe permanent liver and brain damage from moth ball exposure and was unable to eat. Required over 2 weeks at the vets on an IV and long term is not expected to live long.

Not to argue here but mothballs made nowadays are a combination of napthalene and another 2 buck word I can't remember how to spell. That word ends in benzene so I can see where the vapors could be hazardous. I don't think camphor has the hazardous chemical effects but I'm no expert. The point of the post was not to argue anything but rather show the "new" mothball makeup. I suspect it would be harmful to anything

breathing....doh...it kills moths now don't it.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

1,4-dichlorobenzene, aka para-dichlorobenzene

Senior Reader
Homaka

Did anybody try rice. It keeps the salt dry and nothing toxic about it.

Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

Hey, You are right about the rice, I've been putting it on my eggs for years!!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.