Senior Reader
thalvors8595

Homemade Cyclone Separator

I was hoping somebody can tell me what I did wrong with my garbage can separator.  It Does sperarate the material however it does not stay at the bottom of the trash can.  The dust collector simply sucks all the material up.  I built this thing out of a 32 Gallon metal trash can with 4" pipe going in and out of the lid.  I have it connected to a JDS dust force 1250 CFM Dust Collector.    Any Ideas would be helpfull.  At the moment it is just something taking up space.

Thanks,

Tim

Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

Re: Homemade Cyclone Separator

Maybe the inlet and outlet are too close to each other inside the can. I bought the one from Rockler, and it works great. :smileyhappy:

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

thalvors8595 wrote:

I was hoping somebody can tell me what I did wrong with my garbage can separator.  It Does separate the material however it does not stay at the bottom of the trash can.  The dust collector simply sucks all the material up.  I built this thing out of a 32 Gallon metal trash can with 4" pipe going in and out of the lid.  I have it connected to a JDS dust force 1250 CFM Dust Collector.    Any Ideas would be helpfull.  At the moment it is just something taking up space.

Thanks,

Tim

The D.C. is actually working too good, sounds like you need a baffle between inlet and outlet to knock the stuff down.

baffle.jpg

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Contributor
97Phatlady

Looks like a Thien design seperator. I built one and it works terrific. I don't understand what the third pipe is connected to. On mine the center pipe is connected to the vacuum source and the other is connected to whatever tool you are trying to collect dust from.  http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Senior Contributor
mjpaulin6792

I've been wanting to build one of these for about a year now, just never seem to find the time. Can you use a bag inside the can or do you need to just use the can by itself?

Michael
Sheboygan, WI

Measure once cut twice!
Contributor
97Phatlady

I have mine setup to a thirty-five gallon drum - no bag. I think the bag would interfere with the cyclonic action that it is designed to produce.

Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

A friend of mine takes my sawdust to use in his horse stalls, so I tried using a bag in mine, to save him the trouble of bagging. It didn't work. :smileyhappy:

Advisor
tomsteve1967

i built a seperator using 2-55 gallon plastic drums stacked. i quickly found out i need to add a thein baffle. now, i have emptied the seperator about 15 times and the bag on the d.c. once, and only for the fine dust.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Please repost in the General Woodworking forum. This forum is for the posting of shop tips. Thanks, Marlen @ WOOD

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.