Advisor
Rrandy

Great Magnets

A big if here but if you have a microwave oven headed for the dump then you can destroy...uhdismantle it and get the magnet off of the magnetron. I think that's what it's called. I have 4 of them and all are about 3/8 thick by about 3 in diameter with about a 1 inch hole in the center. I scrounged them off the street and if you need a good magnet there is a source for free...except effort. 

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Advisor
Dave in Md

Re: Great Magnets

Another source for magnets are old hard drives.  There are 2 rare earth magnets in there for the voice coil head positioner.  Usually 1/8 to 3/16 thick curved and very strong.  I use one to keep my drill press key attached to the machine, my buddy is left handed so he can swap sides if he is using my shop.  I use 1 to hold a clip board on my cabinet and 1 to hold a note pad for the next HW store run. My wife has several she uses on the refrigerator to hold a calendar, shopping lists and coupons

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Senior Advisor
john880

For anyone that is a fisherman that has had a trolling motor go bad, and to costly to repair. Inside surrounding the lower motor casing glued to the inside is one of the most power full magnets that I have found. May take a chisel to get them loose....

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Contributor
birchwoodguy

wow I think I will do a "dump run" today and look for some of these unbeknownst-to-me sources for sup(p)er  magnets!

Robert.

Community Manager
Dave at WOOD

If you can find an old stereo speaker where the cones is torn or trashed, harvest the driver magnet. The bigger the speaker, the stronger the magnet.

Dave Campbell
Editorial Content Chief, WOOD magazine
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Old guitar pickups are great, too.  The alnico magnets stick to the 'fridge like gangbusters!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Contributor
bojoyseven

Panel meters from old electronic equipment contain magnets that encompasses a wire coil on the meter's needle movement. The size and power of the magnet will of course depend on the physical size of the meter. Bob

Veteran Reader
ed57gmc

For small, but very strong magnets, check out the brush heads of a Sonicare tooth brush. They are good for catches in boxes, etc. approx 3/16 x 1/8 x 1/4

Senior Reader
dale755

check out old old old hard drives. They usually have 2-3 rare earth magnets inside. DON'T get your fingers caught between them unless you like blood blister blue as a color.

Geoff

Senior Reader
Grant Dorcas

Ditto here on hard drive magnets. I do computer repairs, so have a pretty constant supply. I use one to hold up a hammer , 2 together to hold a 25' tape. (2 only because of the tape being bulky, it is safer) I have them epoxied to my lathe to hold the wrenches, and other tools, I use them attached to old axe or shortened shovel handles for that elusive screw or socket that rolls under the counter. I even have 2 holding my electronic cross cut miter gauge to the wall. It needs 3 if you put a long auxillray fence on it. Grant Dorcas

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.