Senior Contributor
Mathnerd

Re: Cheap storage

I use the plastic tubs that whipped or soft butter comes in.  I cut a series of 9 holes in a piece of 1/2 inch plywood as an insert in a shop drawer, and once a month or so I get a new container for my stuff.  The more toast the wife eats, the faster I get a new tub.

Northridge, CA
1/3 of Americans can't add fractions; the other 3/4 can't subtract them.
Frequent Contributor
Tom Harrington

I'm also now collecting the plastic lidded tubs that much deli meat now comes in. These are rounded rectangeloids about 5 1/2 by 3 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches and about 22 fl. oz./650 ml in volume.

When I have enough of them, I'll build a storage cabinet into a mobile cart, using these tubs as "drawers" on simple open shelves. You could also build a wall-hung cabinet with shelves for these tubs, or other variations on this idea.

There is one slight complication: the deli-meat tub used for a major regional or national brand is sllightly different in shape than the tubs used for the grocery store chain's in-house brand, so I have to collect enough of one kind to fill a shelf and enough of another kind to fill another shelf, etc. Mixing the two types on one shelf doesn't quite work because their dimensions vary slightly. Before you design your cabinet, find out which brand's tub is wider than the other and dimension the cabinet around that larger tub.

But at least they're free (after you buy and consume the deli meat), and large enough to be useful for storing any number of small items. They're clear, so you can see what is inside them, and the rounded bottem edges of the tubs make it easy to scoop small items out of them.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Tom Harrington wrote:

I'm also now collecting the plastic lidded tubs that much deli meat now comes in. ...

At all costs avoid Carl Buddig meats packed in these containers: chopped, pressed, reassembled meat- like clones, Soylent Green Tuesdays.

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Esteemed Advisor
john880

I use the plastic tubs that Mathnerd referred to, to pour paint, shellac,thinned what ever, to dip brushes into rather than the original material in the can. This keep any contaminants from spoiling the original for future use. To collect screws, nails, general small stuff on one of those fix-up journeys. I also use their lids as a base for mixing the two parts of epoxy, the small paint bottles that have the small squeeze openings for craft paint (Apple) at Michaels or Hobby Lobby to let a small amount to collect & dip from.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Apprentice Contributor
heffner2642

Another good use for the plastic coffee containers (like Folgers comes in) or any other brand, is it makes a good

storage container for dust masks and replacement filters for them. They will stay clean well protected till they are needed on the next project.

Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

I don't use tobacco products, however I am not beyond using an empty chewing tobacco tin for nuts and bolts during maintenance to prevent loss.

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Senior Contributor
brauncar1

Exactly.  This is just one of the many things you don’t need to spend an extra money for.  Helping your budget as well as helping the Earth by recycling.  Simple but very helpful. 

Frequent Contributor
bill_brady

Guilty as charged with this cheap storage idea.  Cool way to help save the environment.

Contributor
Craft54143

About 2 years ago, I was in my local big box hardware store, and they happened to have some of the plano storage containers on sale, and buy one/ get one free. Everyone has seen them, and they have about 500,000 uses. I use mine to store my router bits in. One my router bits came with different size bearings that allow you to adjust how large of a rabbit you can make. Slip some dividers in there, and they all have a different home. Using my lable writer, I made labels to put at the bottom, so I know which bits are missing any time I open them up. They stack nice, and because they are plastic, I know my router bits won't get damaged from them being stored in there. Only downside, you really can't store a raised panel bit in there. Well, not the horizontal ones anyway. I have a rail and stile set in there though. Just depends on what bits you have and how many you have I guess.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.