Esteemed Advisor

Angle Grinder as a WMD Sander

I had an occasion to modify my H.F. ElCheapo angle grinder into a disk sander that the former Bush administration would've classified as a weapon of mass destruction due to it's aggressive nature. I bought this adapter for it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-backing-pad-for-resin-fiber-discs-94370.html

It was only $3 'cause I had one of those 20% off coupons found in Wood Magazine's advertiser pages. I also had a supply of c- weight sanding paper remnants- I buy an assortment for $20 per 10 Lb. box, so my per 5" disk cost is only a few pennies. I proceed like so:

Grinder1.jpg

With a compass draw a 5" diameter circle, followed by a 2" diameter, and finally a 3/4" one. Cutout the 3/4 arbor hole and pie slice out to the 2" circle line, this allows the retaining washer to nest below the pad's surface.

Grinder12jpg.jpg

Now go and find a surface that needs to be hogged down in a hurry, this is not a fine finish tool, but if you need to quickly knock down a glueup surface or renew a workbench top or grind a stump, this is the beast that will do it fast. Be advised that with no dust collection, this thing spews out the dust, so use outdoors or over a powerful sanding suction box.

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Senior Contributor

Re: Angle Grinder as a WMD Sander

thats nice ive been wanting to do that to my hitachi angle grinder

lifes short
do woodworking
Honored Advisor

Re: Angle Grinder as a WMD Sander

if you want to use that grinder as a coping tool put two disks together back to back w/o the backer pad...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick...

Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.