Senior Contributor
Allen O.

"Best" Shop vac for hand tool dust collection?

I have been thinking of adding a small shop vac to help with the dust collection on my hand tools like the RO sander and biscuit jointer. However,not sure if I wanted to shell out the coin for the small Festool or Fein varieties, although I realize they apparently would work pretty well.  I have even tried hooking up an adapter to my 4-inch dust collector, but it didn't seem to do much good, probably because of all the friction loss in the longer hoses.

Are there any other alternatives, less pricey, for smaller shop vacs?  OK, I know we're talking about our lungs here and the biggest Fein is still cheaper than a set of new lungs, but I hate to shell out more money than I have to.  Thanks in advance.

Allen O.
"Today's mighty oak is nothing more than yesterday's little nut that held it's ground."
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: "Best" Shop vac for hand tool dust collection?

[ Edited ]

I use one of these. As soon as I get around to it I am going to build a Thein separator to use with it in an attempt to keep the fine sanding dust from reaching the filter.

This one hangs on the wall and comes with an 18 foot hose.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

I use a Rigid and reduce the hose by salvaging the attachment hoses from flea market uprights.  I use a dry wall dust filter bag instead of the included foam filter.  I would like to couple a dust deputy to it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My holy grail of shop made small tool dust collectors would be one of the Dyson cyclone vacuums.  One model has small cyclones around the canister.  If I can find a salvage one of those I will be in tinker heaven. 

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

I don't really like Shop Vac brand shop vacuums.  I've bought two (a small and the large one that was a "door buster" sale item at Lowes).

I don't like the small diameter of the hoses.  I prefer something on the order of 2 1/2" or so.  I replaced the small Shop Vac with a Ridgid - that seems to handle the hand routing and the ROS quite nicely.  It has the larger hose.  It is a bit noisy, but I'm usually wearing ear protectors when I use the router anyway.

I've thought about getting a Dust Deputy or building something for the Shop Vacuum, but I haven't gotten around to it as of yet.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Hey good morning Allen,

The way that I have arranged my shop & re-arranged it the band saw is kind'a over there all by it self, and I have bought a small vac that hangs of of its frame above the floor ( to allow sweeping below) to do its dust collection. Now in order to keep from cleaning that filter pleats with a tooth brush often. I have wrapped the filter with a cut & knotted panty hose.  It is a older often used by, "My Tips entry" into many woodworking magazines from readers.

Here is something that I have learned, Allen. That often these vac hosed are the very cheep & brittle type. With just a little trouble you can adapt the much more flexible & a lot stronger home floor vacs purchased from, garage/estates sales, vac repair shops & the likes. They are so much more,,,,usable !  An older Hoover floor tank model pull around by the hose is my favorite find.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

My son has the Festool and I have used a Fein both of these are exceptional units. if your pockets are deep enough.

Both have very high suction (adjustable) and reasonably good volume, and very very quite.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Veteran Advisor
Danl

Ridgid 14 gal, 6 peak HP.  Makes 1/2 the noise my Craftsman made.

Danl

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

JL North GA wrote:

I don't really like Shop Vac brand shop vacuums.  I've bought two (a small and the large one that was a "door buster" sale item at Lowes).

I don't like the small diameter of the hoses. 

You're right, the small Shop Vac's do have the smaller hose and that's what I like about them. The hose is much less cumbersome when attached to my sanders or when I am vacuuming off a project for finishing.

I also have a larger Ridgid vacuum plugged into an i-socket and  is pretty much hooked up permanently to the dust collection piping on my OSS, disc sander and 1" belt sander.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

I've got a small Craftsman canister vac and a Festool CT33.    In a sense it's like comparing apples to carbuerators IMHO. 

I use the Craftsman for general cleaning duties but, because of the 2" hose, it's always a bear to connect up to hand tools.   Adapters need adapters and there's the inevitable wrap of duct tape to keep things from falling apart while I'm using them.  Besides that, the hoses are almost always just THIS much too short for comfort.  And the vacuums are pretty loud, truth told.

My Festool and its 1" ID port fit directly on my PC hand tools (sander, biscuit jointer, etc), and of course they're 1:1 fits for my Festool tooling. And it's pretty quiet.   Besides that, there's the bonus of the vac turning on when the tool goes on, and then turning off a couple of seconds after the tool is turned off, all courtesy of just plugging the hand tool into the plug port on the front of the vac.

Yes, you can get there from here with regular shop vacs.   But the amenities won't generally be polite.   Elegant solutions do come with a cost.  I chose to pay it and am exceptionally pleased for the course.

FWIW.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Advisor
Jon439

I haunt the local Salvation Army, St. Vincent's and Goodwill for shop vac attachments in both the 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 inch sizes. I have three vacuums in the workshop - an ancient J.C. Penney shop style vacuum and two genuine SHOP-VAC brand names - a 5 gallon and a 16 gallon. The 5-gallon is about 30 years old and still going strong. I built a muffler for the exhaust noise and it quiets down the high pitched whine quite nicely.

Jon-439

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.