Senior Contributor
wooddoggy2

metal detectors

Anyone have a recomendation for metal detectors to use on salvaged lumber?

Senior Contributor
sweensdv

Re: metal detectors

If money is a real issue then you might want to look at this one from Harbor Freight.  It works pretty good if you don't need to scan much more than 1" deep.

Dave
Senior Contributor
wooddoggy2

Thanks.  Gotta love that price.

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

Cheap metal detectors destroy expensive saw blades and tools:smileyhappy:

Yah getts whats yah pays for.....

If you are just checking the odd 2x4 then odds are you can roll the dice and get by. If on the other hand you are checking salvaged wood or logs from domestic trees for resawing, then you need to lay down the $$$ for something that really does the job.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Honored Advisor
stick48668

Garrett, Whites, Tesoro, OKM and Metal Wizard to name some of the better ones... prices run about a 100 to 160$$$.... I have a Garret (works very very well) and a Fortress... the Fortress isn't for the faint of heart so no point going there... my buddy has the Wizard... no complaints - works well... I got the detector AFTER I found a buried RR spike in a timber I was ripping... destroyed a 400$$$ blade and got a fragment of carbide embedded in my left eye.... and that fragment went through a face shield and glasses before doing a number on me..... a detector that WORKS is cheap at any price.....

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
stick48668

called my buddy... he has the Lumber Wizard III.... 85$$$... I have the Garret Super Scanner... 125$$$..... both offer nothing to complain about... when yur searching take off yur watch, rings, metal buttons and keep yur belt buckle away from the AO.... pay attention to what the wood/timber is laying on too...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...

Stick....
Honored Advisor
stick48668

something else... you'll find that if the MD will barely penetrate 1" of material there will be times when that will not be enough... think timber... another thing... the MD only has to work once and it will have paid for it's self... kinda like the fire extinguishers you have in the house and shop...

Stick....
Honored Advisor
stick48668

that HF MD looks to be a clone/rip off a Garrett... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Stick....
Senior Contributor
wooddoggy2

Thaks to all.  Gotta love the advice you get here.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.