Apprentice Member

hello, depth of cut on miter saw 10" realistically?

I am thinking of getting a nice 10" miter saw. Can anyone tell me if this size can cut 4x4's easily. Or which saw can do this for around $300. Thx keep up the good work Steve H. NJ
Senior Contributor
sweensdv

Re: hello, depth of cut on miter saw 10" realistically?

I believe most quality 10" miter saws can crosscut a 4x4 at 90°.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good one for well under your $300 figure.  For that kind of money your getting into the neighborhood of 12" saws.  There are a lot of quality saws to be sure but the DeWalt saws seem to be very well liked.

Dave
Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye

I have a 10" compound miter saw and it will cut a 4x4 at 90 degrees.  Here's the cutting capacities from the technical data. 

Cutting Capacities

Baseboard against fence: 3-1/2"

Crown molding laying flat: 4-5/8" (Bevel 33.9° x Miter 31.6°)

90° miter cut: 2" x 6" or 4" x 4"

45° miter cut: 2" x 4"

45° bevel cut: 2" x 6"

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

[ Edited ]

i believe most 10" saws will cut just over 3".

edited: just reread the OP. my comment was meant for table saws

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I would definitely check the specs on the saw. They usually are shown on the description tag. As you can see by the different answers, all saws are not the same.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Apprentice Visitor
lowes toolan

Hi!  I just happened onto your inquiry.  Kobalt makes has a 10"{ sliding miter saw for $199 that will do just what you want and more. Crown molding and all. See a Lowe's.  Works great too!

Frequent Contributor
Eric Brigham

I got a 10" Black & Decker miter saw a couple years ago, back when they had their good quality Firestorm series going.  The first thing I did with that saw was make two work benches with 4X4 legs.  It cut all the way through most of the legs, but a few of them I did have to saw off the final 1/16" that it just barely couldn't reach.  My point: 4X4 is the max.  I'll also make this point...when I bought that saw, I thougt that a 10" miter saw would be all that I would need.  Well, I have wished several times since that I saved a little more money to get a sliding compound saw.  A 12" blade might be a bonus too, but if my saw just had the range of a sliding MS, things would be easier.

With all that said, if you have $300 dollars to spend, and plan to cut a lot of 4X4 or boards/pannels wider than about 5 1/2", I would be either looking for the best 12" compound miter saw in that dollar range, or saving annother $160 for a 10" sliding compound saw (Jet makes one that might be worth checking out: sells for $460 at www.toolzone.com).  I just glanced at www.Amazon.com and Hitachi has a 10" slider for $400.

Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

[ Edited ]

I have a rather old Craftsman 10" saw.  It doesn't quite make through a 4x4.  It leaves just a bit on the bottom outside corner.

BTW, I agree totally with Eric.  If you're willing to spend $300, I would look around a bit for a 12" saw.  If you've ever had to struggle with the limitations of a 10" saw, I don't think you would hesitate to go for a 12" model.  Check this:  http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW715-Heavy-Duty-12-Inch-Compound/dp/B000ASBCK4/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

Good luck

Veteran Contributor
skunnmann.ee74

I would definitely hold out for a sliding CMS.  I think the sliding contributes more to the cut capacity than the blade size in an article I read a while back.

Advisor
TNT Sr

I'm jumping on the sliding CMS bandwagon.  For that kind of money, compare a 10" SCMS to a 12".  Either one of those, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  I've just got a standard 10" so I can't speak on either, but know if I had the money when I bought mine, I wouldn't gone with a sliding.

Troy

Remember, you're just one mistake away from a lesson learned...

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.