Frequent Contributor
z28z34man

delta 14" band saw worth

What is an older delta 14" band saw worth?  It has a riser block and work light and looks to be in fair shape.  I don't know for sure but at 375$ I think it is a bit high.  What are your thoughts?

Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Re: delta 14" band saw worth

Yes.  I think it is a bit high.  You can get a brand new Grizzly 14" with riser block for $622 delivered and a brand new Delta for $700+.

You are being asked to pay 1/2 the cost of a new saw.  Some things to consider.  How old are the tires?  Do they have a lot of wear left on them?  Does it come with an assortment of blades?  Does it use cool blocks or bearings for the guides?  What shape are they in? 

It isn't a "bad" deal - but it is not a really good deal.  If the answers to the questions are satisfactory, I would consider purchasing it.  Another thing to consider - 3/4 hp motor or 1 hp motor?  I would prefer having the larger motor for resawing.

Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

Is that the enclosed base model? If it's an older one, it will be a "made in USA" saw..the enclosed base came with a 3/4 HP motor, the open stand (same saw, different trimmings) unit came with a 1/2 HP (this would be on the circa early 90's models). Either motor (IMHO) is inadequate for resawing, I put a 1 HP on mine (1992 model) and wish I had went with a 1 1/2. As for price, I see a starting price of about 1/2 the cost of new about right. It goes up/down based on condition/accessories/whatever. I would look at it fiirst and then judge it's value. Hvaing not seen it is really hard to evaluate price.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Contributor
davidmcraig

I think the price is fair, but not a great deal. Condition and accessories can make it a good or bad deal.

Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

The previous post by davidmcraig was made by "it was Al B". Somehow my log-in was in error. I have logged out and re-logged with the correct user name.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.

Al B ---- from Salisbury, MA
Frequent Contributor
z28z34man

He says he thinks it has a 1 1/2 hp motor in it but he has only used it 1 hour since he owned it.

My gut is telling not to buy ( or maybe it is my wife getting to me subconsciously ) so I should probably pass 

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I have to agree with Al, it's more than a fair price if what he is telling you is true. A barely used $700 band saw for under $400.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
dbgessner

A couple other considerations...

1.  Do 14" Delta band saws come up frequently enough in your area for you to wait for a better priced one?

2.  That riser kit and work light should add $100 onto any base unit band saw.

3.  Delta parts have been outfitting that style band saw since circa 1940.  Griz has had about a dozen different models of 14" band saw since they started cranking them out.  Parts inventory for a specifice model is a question.

4.  If you are planning on mostly resawing, that model is and has always been considered undersized and underweight.  It will do the job with fine tuning and the right blade, but the frame structure is light duty (see www.owwm.com and look at the thread on "... how do you use your 30" or larger band saw?"

5.  An asking price of $375 could mean as low as $300 if you find missing parts are in your future.

David

Frequent Contributor
z28z34man

I wish I knew the age of the saw.  The model # is 20-714 if that helps anyone.  I can't find much other that an exploded parts diagram of it on line.  It looks well used but not worn out form the pics but the lighting isn't the greatest in the shot so I can't quite tell for sure.  

for being a former used car sales man I am a push over in face to face negations so I don't want to go over there with out knowing it is worth the money because there is very little wiggle room on the price.

As of for my plans for the saw light resawing but primarily curved work.  It would be nice to slab out a small log for a special protect for a friend of my wife from a tree from there old farm house

Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

[ Edited ]

Does the owner have the manual ?

Have the owner check the horse power of the motor. If he wants to sell the saw, he should be willing to make the effort to  check it out.

Don't be afraid to make an offer. He may be willing to come down in price. Maybe a compromise between your offer and his price, so offer a price that might make him feel a compromise is worth considering. If you knock off $75.00, maybe he'll consider going down $50.00. As a used car dealer, you must have some bartering skills.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.

Al B ---- from Salisbury, MA

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.