Honored Advisor
amateur60

Re: american made tablesaws

Black and Decker didn't purchase DeWalt (except way back when when mostly they bought the Radial Arm Saws,  for which they subsequently sold the designs (owned by Original Saw Company).  The yellow DeWalt  brand has been created by Black and Decker, basically to compensate for having run the B&D brand down to dime-store level.  (If you remember, some of the early DeWalt models were B&D Professional, with yellow cases.)   Marketing must be an interesting occupation. 

Stanley now has the interesting quandry of repositioning what had been two directly competing hand tool lines, the DeWalt and the Porter Cable.  Looks like DeWalt hand tools will be the flagship, and PorterCable will be positioned a step below.   Although Delta had lost some market cache when it managed its shift to overseas sourcing rather badly, but with the new Unisaw apparently being well received, and virtually "made in USA",  it would make sense to focus table saw brands under the Delta Unisaw flagship.  No point having a Delta hybrid competing directly with a DeWalt hybrid. 

Frequent Contributor
tsantopi

I seem to remember an add for the new Delta table saw that is made in the US to say with foreighn parts. Seems they should say assembled in America. Does anyone have any information about this. I for one hope it is all American made but I don't think it actually is. 

Frequent Contributor
tsantopi

This is the answer i received from a DeWalt rep yesterday.

Tom,

This saw was made in the US and there are still parts available for this product. Black & Decker who is the parent company of DEWALT also purchased Delta and they have a extensive line of table saws also made in the US, therefore the decision was made to realign our product lines and since Delta already had the great brand name for professional, shop table saws we are now moving the DEWALT line away from this area. There will continue to be parts available for this DW746 for the next several years and you should not have any issues with this unit.

Advisor
gruhe

AFAIK, the new Unisaw is made in the USA with USA castings and USA motors.  There are some parts made overseas, but all of the critical componets are made and assembled here.

Greg

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Honored Advisor
amateur60

Greg has said the same as I had read about the new Unisaw when it was introduced.  I'd call it substantially American made, not just assembled of foreign parts. 

Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

+ 1   Everything I have read...most of the parts are made and assembled in USA.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Frequent Contributor
tsantopi

Thanks for the information guys. I hope you are correct. The Dewalt Woodworkers Table saw was about the same mix of parts. I would like to see more woodworking tools made in the USA with USA parts. The quality in my experience is much better, it supports our economy and is worth the extra cost. I don't go for assembled in America. I feel that down grades the American craftsmen. Don't get me wrong, I also buy foreign brands when I can't get American. They are okay but in most cases not like American quality right down to the bolts and packing. I called Delta yesterday to ask them about where the parts come form but I waited 40 minutes (all the operators were busy) they didn't give an estimated wait time so I had to give up. I also wrote them asking them this question but no answer yet. With all this I do have to saw the new Delta saw looks like a beautiful saw.    

Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

American made.  Bear this in mind the next time you look at a Honda Civic , or an ACCORD.    Most of the parts are made in the USA, and assembles in the USA.   Honda Transmissions are made here also.    They Ohio plant is even make all their own gears, rather than imposting them from Japan.   I know, I used to work there.  Parts are stamped out of american steel for the cars ( even the Element) at plants here in the USA.   They are then trucked to the plants on a TIGHT schedule that the locals call the Tokyo Express!   Most Japaneese Suppliers for Honda have plants here in the USA, and truck parts to the plants here in Ohio, and Indiana.   American made Honda transmissions are also shipped to Canada.  American made.

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

I just happened to stumble into this blog from Glen Huey about the new Unisaw and where it's made:

"What constitutes "Made in the U.S.A.?" You might be surprised, as I was, to find out there are no established requirements for making this most-boastful comment on many products. No requirements other than you better be able to back up your words with facts. This is why you see the qualifier "…  of U.S and foreign components" inscribed on the plate located on the front of each Unisaw produced.

Of course, it’s all but impossible to claim a product is made entirely in the United States. Case in point: Each Delta Unisaw is purchased with a Marathon motor included. Marathon Electric, a company based in Wausau, Wisconsin, builds these motors. Marathon Electric is part of the Regal Beloit family of companies, headquartered in Beloit, Wisconsin. All this would lead one to believe these motors are U.S. made. But here’s the issue. The company cannot verify from where some of the materials used in the motors, such as the copper wire for the motor windings, are made. Therefore, the company cannot use "Made in the U.S.A." on the motors. And as a result, Delta cannot include the motor in it's listing of parts made in the United States.

So, how does Delta claim "Made in the U.S.A." without stepping over the line – besides adding the aforementioned qualifier? Delta makes sure the list of qualified parts made in the United States used on the Unisaw reaches its in-house established level of 80 percent. Interestingly, that’s 80 percent based on total costs. (Take all the U.S.-made parts at cost, add the total and if that number is at least 80 percent of the total cost of the saw, "Made in the U.S.A." can be added to that tool.)

As I said above, there is no set requirement for this percentage. This is a Delta-set number. Is it a good number? Considering that many industries use a percentage much lower – according to Delta, the shoe industry arbitrarily sets 50 percent as its figure – I would have to say it is.

I'm not going to get into each and every nut and bolt, but let’s take a look at the major saw parts. First, the cabinet is made and painted in the facility in Jackson, Tenn. (I expect it's rather easy for the company to pinpoint that the rolled steel used in the cabinet is U.S. made.) Second, the newly designed, one-piece trunnions are cast and milled in Wisconsin by one of the premier casting companies in the world. (This fact has been confirmed by a source outside the confines of Delta.) And third, the tabletop and wings are cast and milled in Wisconsin, too.

For good measure, each Unisaw is shipped with a Biesemeyer fence system, and I watched these being made at the Jackson facility. That's four major parts of the Unisaw that are easily qualified as made in the U.S. Is that all that's needed in reaching 80 percent? Maybe so, but I'll bet there are more parts to the saw with origins in the United States.

Additionally, each Unisaw is shipped with a new 10", 50-tooth, full-kerf saw blade manufactured in Shelbyville, Ky. According to Delta, this is not the typical blade that arrives with a new table saw only to be cast aside for rough cuts or emergencies. Time will tell. And if I can get information on the complete line – 18 new blades in all – I'll report on them in a future entry.

— Glen D. Huey"

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Thanks Scott. His article is nice and it does go by unwritten rule that to be called Made in USA it needs to be at 80%.

That figure stood for long time when it came to autos. At first Toyota and Honda couldn't claim that status because they couldn't reach the 'magic' number. After few years they did but most of the public didn't know, couldn't accept it, whatever.

But it's good to know that major parts are made here. How much it supports the economy is hard to tell. At the 3K price I'd be curious to see the numbers sold.

Thanks again for fine read.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.