Veteran Contributor
paulelaine

Re: Wood Magazine Cyclne Test. Why Is ClearVue Not Included

Matt,

When do you expect an answer from your editor as to whether or not the Clearvue has been included in the cyclone test.

Thanks

WOOD Editor
Bob H at WOOD

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your interest in our review of dust collectors.  Let me clear up a few things.

First off, whether a manufacturer advertises in WOOD Magazine has no bearing on their inclusion in our tool reviews. Of the manufacturers in the recent clamp test, only DeWalt is an advertiser. Same with the compact routers reviewed prior to that. It’s a common misconception that only advertisers are included, or that only advertisers earn Top Tool or Top Value awards. I can’t speak for other magazines, but at WOOD it’s simply not true. The truth has been right there in print for the past 28 years if you want to check it for yourself.

Now, to the question about Clear Vue: When we began acquiring dust collectors for the upcoming review, Clear Vue did not have a machine in the price range that is the focus of the review. Since we completed testing, though, several included models went up in price, raising the range up to where Clear Vue could have been included. However, at that point, it was too late to include them in our tests.

Thanks for understanding.

Bob Hunter
Tools Editor
WOOD Magazine
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

good clean concise post. thank you.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Frequent Contributor
alanandnormab1

Re: Wood Magazine Cyclone Test. Why Is ClearVue Not Included

[ Edited ]

Apparently you don't bother to read other forums to see what's going on out in the woodworking community.

I'm always reading about some one who is interested in a dust collection system and have chosen a few manufactures one of which you neglected to include. Most of these people are looking for info on these systems to help them make an informed decision as in is it worth the extra $200 to $300 to step up to the next higher hp system.

By going by price point all your doing is possibly encouraging buying a system that might barely meet their current needs but have to spend even more money when they out grow it.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Wood magazine has, for some time now, published a video on testing methodology for leveling the playing field among various manufacturers models. It is a most scientific, useful, and rational presentation that one can easily replicate to determine their own dust collection needs and capabilities.

Dust Collector Test

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Veteran Contributor
paulelaine

"Wood magazine has, for some time now, published a video on testing methodology for leveling the playing field among various manufacturers models. It is a most scientific, useful, and rational presentation that one can easily replicate to determine their own dust collection needs and capabilities."

I viewed the Wood video on dust collection testing methodology per the other poster who stated that it was a test that someone "can easily replicate to determine their own dust collection needs." Is the other poster KIDDING? Who has thousands of dollars in guagues, software, graphic displays in their shop? This is clearly a job for experts! Additionally, the video did not explain the basic minimum cfm and velocity required to support "fine dust control" vs. chip collection nor did it discuss how static pressure and other factors caused by ductwork size, length, bends, restrictions, etc. "in your" shop will affect the final flow at the end of the duct run where the woodworking machine is.

Veteran Contributor
demardist86

Thats not what we want to hear Matt. Why not give your readers what they want. Hold off on the review. Marvin Wasserman

Advisor
gruhe

I subscribe to a lot of woodworking magazines for a lot of years and have read many reviews on dust collectors, but I don't recall ever seeing a review on ClearVue.  I also don't ever recall seeing ClearVue advertisements in those same magazines, which leads me to believe that money talks. 

I don't put a lot of faith in magazine tool reviews either as they tend to be softball reviews, so as not to offend their advertisers.  I don't think Wood Magazine or any other magazine that generates revenue from advertising dollars is immune to this treatment. 

Greg

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

Just how long do you suppose the lead time is to get a half of a million (!!!!) copies of a magazine printed, Marvin? 

If our good editors at Wood have shown what's coming in the next issue then that information is locked, carved in stone and otherwise not changable.   And that's because the articles have already been written, proof-read, photographed and sent to the printing house.  There, the gears are already in motion get that next issue of the magazine sent through the printing presses to get a half of a million copies made, then bound and headed out on time to subscribers and news stands.

So no, not realistic nor possible.    For further details, see Bob Hunter's reply, above.  

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Apprentice Contributor
rrobbins3717750

Awesome that this reveiw is going to happen but I so wish I could see it in the next two days.  There is a 10% off sale at my local woodworking store for the Laguna 2HP.  I hope I am not makeing a mistake.

Has Wood Magazine ever reviewed this one in the past?

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.