Frequent Contributor
wericha

Which Table Saw?

The time has come to take the plunge and buy a new table saw.  The 15% off sale on Powermatic and Jet pushed me over the edge.  Now I have to decide which one.  The PM2000 or the equivalent Jet?  My gut says go for the gold.  If you had the chance, which would you take?

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Which Table Saw?

PM 2000. I didn't know Jet made an equivalent saw. :smileywink: Guess which one I have. All kidding aside, I LOVE that saw. You will NOT be dissapointed. 

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Advisor
knotscott

THe PM2000 has a 30" deep table.  Jet has the standard 27" depth. 

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Honored Advisor
ynoT

I'm sure there is quite a difference in prize between the two.

What can you do with Powermatic that it cannot be done with Jet?

Difference in money can get you some nice blades, tools, etc.

What HP will you be after, 3 or 5?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

RussBoyd wrote:

PM 2000. I didn't know Jet made an equivalent saw. :smileywink: Guess which one I have. All kidding aside, I LOVE that saw. You will NOT be dissapointed. 

+ 1

Gary K.

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Frequent Contributor
wericha

I'm using the term "equivalent" loosely......................:smileyvery-happy:

The price difference is around $340 when you consider the Jet doesn't come with a mobile base.  I invested heavily in blades some time ago since I've been using a contractor saw.  Sharp high quality blades make all the difference.

I'm staying with the 3hp.  There may be a time when I get back into woodworking on a more professional level, but even then I don't envision a high production environment.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

That 3 hp will do anything you ask it to. For that small a difference in $, I wouldn't hesitate with the PM2000.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

OK, Russ,

Last time I looked at Powermatic it was around $2000 depending on model, options.

So, is Jet (not full cabinet) really that much?!!!

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

Spend a little more and reap the benefits.:smileyhappy:

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

ynoT wrote:

OK, Russ,

Last time I looked at Powermatic it was around $2000 depending on model, options.

So, is Jet (not full cabinet) really that much?!!!

Tony

Tony, I'm not the one quoting prices, in fact when I bought mine it was 2300 and that was 3 or 4 years ago. I have no idea what the Jet is and really don't know how it stacks up point to point or spec to spec. What I do know is that the PM is a GREAT saw.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.