Apprentice Visitor
LittleNNNWood

Re: What tool to use to remove nails from pallets?

The Paslode Eagle Claw from Amazon is the best because it will allow you to hit it with a hammer to dig for nails.  Or the Nail Hawk.  I love the Nail Extractor, just love it, but the flush or recessed nails can't be reached.  I am looking forward to the new tool designed specifically for this, which has flat tips made directly for the dismantling of pallets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRj8W6BQE04  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRj8W6BQE04

The way it is deployed is to use the flat tips to pry up each board at the end, then to slap it back down with the head of the tool to leave the exposed nail popped up, then to slip the jaws around the nail and pry it up and voila!  No wood damage, but extremely fast dismantling.

Senior Contributor
coltons4

try a nail jack and cats paw if you dont want to mar the wood put a scrap peice of wood and use it as a base for the puller to keep from marring

lifes short
do woodworking
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

[ Edited ]

I've had one of these from Crescent for years and it's been very good.

crescent nail puller.jpg

I have to say, though, that mine is an old one...made in the US.  It would appear from the negative comments on Amazon that they aren't made here any more....which would be a criminal shame.

Senior Contributor
claysoules

Handy-Dan is HANDY once again. The skill-saw will do the best job and leave the most usable wood. Then you can remove the nails if you really want them, after you warm yourself in the fire of the runners, by sifting the ashes. I also use a finger-joint router to "dress the ends to make lumber of the length I need. The free wood is great, but the quality of the pallet wood itself is often not the best, and only worth using in locations where it won't be seen in case-work.
Don't push the River....It flows by itself.
Clay Soules
Woodworm

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.