Apprentice Visitor
rfdmdd

What tool to use to remove nails from pallets?

I like to build projects from reclaimed lumber.  Can someone recommend a fast and easy way to remove nails from pallets?  The nails are grooved and twisted type nails, and conventional nail-pullers like a clawhammer or nail pulling pliers do not work very well.  Is there a tool that doesn't damage the wood or my knuckles.

Thanks,

Robert

Veteran Advisor
dab90south

Re: What tool to use to remove nails from pallets?

Spare MRI machine?
Honored Advisor
handy-dan

I find the three runners have so many nail holes in them that they are rendered useless.  I usually cut the cross slats loose with a circular saw, use them and pitch the rest with the nails still in them.

Set your blade depth close and be careful as it may bind up when cutting.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Hello Robert, Welcome to the form,,,,,,,,,

Same as Dan above, if you will look closely at the nail pattern, you will see that if you could remove the nails in that stretch of wood what would you be able to do with them in that shape.

I was fortunate to get access to some brand new pallets from a friend of a friend of mine at that time. Planned down and although thin, that oak has some beautiful grain patterns and I was fortunate to have got them. They make great small accessories for recreational vehicles in this thickness like holders for cup, soap, toothbrush, hair driers, key chain hooks, magazine racks, pen & paper organizers, TV remote, kitchen carving knives, likable with sayings wall signs, small shelves.

A lot of which a guy can buy ornate & dishwasher safe plastic drop-ins. For when something that would normaly come into contact with the oak, such as the toothbrush/knives to separate these item from.  So I agree with your assessment of pallet lumber.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Welcome to the forums of Woodmagazine.com, Robert. I set my pallets up on blocks, bricks anything to elevate it just a few inches off the ground. Next I use a length of 4x4 timber as a ram and drive straight down on the target joint alongside the main rail with a pure downward thrust. The sudden shock will either back the screw nails out or will drive the slat past the heads, ending with a useable section- most of the time. Of course some splitting and defects are anticipated, but the thicker the slats the better the yield.

I'd also like to invite you to explore the video channels as well.

WOOD Online has a very respectable library of free videos for your education and enjoyment in the pursuit of learning more about the craft of woodworking.

There are two channels you can look at for specific subjects:

The first is WOODCuts.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/
This is the site to go for “house” videos that WOOD magazine has produced for its site visitors. Although these may have commercials in them, and thus have a bit of a loading wait, they are still solid blocks of good to know information professionally shot and edited, with clear and concise demonstrations.

The second resource for videos is WOODTube.
http://woodtube.ning.com/
These are user submitted videos usually shot by woodworkers who wish to visually share tips, tricks, and techniques they feel are worth passing on. This site has a search engine so you can get more specific in your need to know area.

And finally, don't forget you can use the site search function to bring up past articles of interest too!

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
kmealy

Here's my favorite nail-puller

http://www.nailextractor.com/index.html

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

[ Edited ]

I have used a regular old crow bar for years and it works really well for me. If I suspect potential damage, I put a another piece of wood under crowbar. The long handle leverage  makes it pretty easy to pull the type nails you mentioned.

LEO
Forums Host
Honored Advisor
stick48668

kmealy wrote:

I have one of those....

works like nobuddy's business...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
kmealy

I find it works really well on those pneumatic nails and staples that are too soft for anything else.  It also has a lot of pulling force on ring-shank and spiral nails; it does not depend on having an intact nail head, either.

stick48668 wrote:

kmealy wrote:

I have one of those....

works like nobuddy's business...

Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

The best tool I've used for nails is a cat's paw.....that nail extractor looks interesting too.

catspaw.gif

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.